Worlds largest RC model

When I had a flight on Concorde Bahrain to London, i'm grateful they didn't do any aeros, but you could certainly see the curvature of the earth.

Could'nt understand why the window in the toilet was frosted? Who the hells going to see what you've got at 65,000ft?

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Looks like it is "just" flying and unstable at that...

I remember when concorde first came to australia; it departed YSSY east off 34L straight over the house. After growing up listening to DC9's rattle the house I thought the roof was surely going to cave in and windows shatter.

• Informative 1

Never occurred to me before, but I wonder what the aerodynamic effect of lowering the nose is (on the real Concorde, not the model). Does it just add drag, or are there other effects? Now all we need is an ex-Concorde pilot. 🙂

• Agree 1

Delta's fly slow at a high pitch angle and the Concord nose tilts down for the Pilots to see the runway. They are also pretty draggy at slow speed so use a lot of engine Power on  approach..

The VC-10 with 4 rear mounted low bypass ratio engines Nicknamed  "the IRON DUCK" was one of the noisiest civilian planes.  Went into service in 1962. The noise is due to the Jet efflux being supersonic. They make noises like a succession of whips cracking when taking off.. RR Conways Plane built by Vickers Armstrong.   Nev

• Informative 1

Relating to the RC model, control difficulties could be anticipated due scale effect and the fact these planes are designed to operate at above supersonic speeds, not what they do as a model. Nev

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

Delta's fly slow at a high pitch angle and the Concord nose tilts down for the Pilots to see the runway. They are also pretty draggy at slow speed so use a lot of engine Power on  approach..

The VC-10 with 4 rear mounted low bypass ratio engines Nicknamed  "the IRON DUCK" was one of the noisiest civilian planes.  Went into service in 1962. The noise is due to the Jet efflux being supersonic. They make noises like a succession of whips cracking when taking off.. RR Conways Plane built by Vickers Armstrong.   Nev

That is the sound i remember... its impressive.

14 hours ago, facthunter said:

Have XV105 and XV107 in my Logbook, circuits and bumps at Brize Norton early eighties.

wonderful aircraft and I think still amongst the fastest subsonic airliners flown.

• Like 1

Never flew in a VC10 but was always impressed by their steep climb out. The Trident was excellent too. I flew in one of those

I think BOAC brought them here. Think I saw one at Tullamarine, which opened about 1970. I think Essendon's runways would have been too short.. 

Most pitch angles are limited to 18 degrees for Passenger comfort on RPT. on climb out.

Four engined planes are not as overpowered as 2 engined planes are. They have 3 left when ONE fails. The comparisons would have to be made at max TOW to be valid. . A jet well under MAX TOW will climb better. A lot of take offs are done with reduced thrust when all the power is not required.    Nev

Edited by facthunter
typo