The risk of dying doing what we love

Hmmm!

Not sure that I have seen a solid/unbroken yellow line  in Australia - A solid white line (lane marker) indicates the usable  limits for vehicle  movement, of that side of the road .

In Britain a solid yellow line is a no parking sign/indication.

1 minute ago, skippydiesel said:

Hmmm!

Not sure that I have seen a solid/unbroken yellow line  in Australia - A solid white line (lane marker) indicates the usable  limits for vehicle  movement, of that side of the road .

In Britain a solid yellow line is a no parking sign/indication.

It's a rule introduced in Victoria about 5 years ago; it means that you can't cross it. You can cross a solid white line to park if it's safe, but the other side of the yellow line is a no go zone.

People complain about CASA regulations but at least we only have one set.

Each State or Territory sets its own road rules.

They have signage conventions and regulatory conventions to make them as consistent as possible nationally, but remember we are not a nation but a commonwealth of states.

It's not that smart to test someone on all road rules for a licence in 1972 and expect him to remember them all plus all new ones in 2044.

An online test, say every five years, would be a revision of the ones you've forgotten, plus pick up all those new regulations where the cop says, "Well I'm sorry sir, but the law was gazetted 2 years ago and you're supposed to know." It would also be the goto for people on international licences.

However, while there may be bingles when people fail to give way, what we've been talking about is losing your life - fatalities, and when you start to disect those, you don't necessarily find significant numbers of fatalities from forgotten rules.

A good measure of your own behaviour on the roads is to count the number of horn blasts you get; it should be about 1 every three years at the most.

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

You get horn blasts from behind here when you stop for a red light. Try Bell st. . Nev

You can't stop before the red light is on or fail to take of the millisecond the lights turn green,  if Gen Zedders are around.

• Agree 1

"It's a rule introduced in Victoria about 5 years ago; it means that you can't cross it. You can cross a solid white line to park if it's safe, but the other side of the yellow line is a no go zone."

Thanks for that . Next time I'm down Mexico way, I will look out for solid yellow lines (are there very many?)

Just completed a 4 hr round trip, one city one large town & many small villages - not a yellow line anywhere😈

Back, in my Mothers day,  when Australians numbered about 6 million,  it made sense for each geographic area (State) to make their own road rules - now at 27 million, plus a lot more interstate/international travel,  it's crazy that there is not a standard set of road rules for all Australia (role on the yellow line?????).

34 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

"It's a rule introduced in Victoria about 5 years ago; it means that you can't cross it. You can cross a solid white line to park if it's safe, but the other side of the yellow line is a no go zone."

Thanks for that . Next time I'm down Mexico way, I will look out for solid yellow lines (are there very many?)

Just completed a 4 hr round trip, one city one large town & many small villages - not a yellow line anywhere😈

Back, in my Mothers day,  when Australians numbered about 6 million,  it made sense for each geographic area (State) to make their own road rules - now at 27 million, plus a lot more interstate/international travel,  it's crazy that there is not a standard set of road rules for all Australia (role on the yellow line?????).

We are six Sovereign States each with its own Parliament. The public can want everything the same, the road authorities can agree and also want everything the same, but in our democracy a law has to go through both Houses of each State Parliament where the members have competing priorities and a single Member of Parliament from any State can send that State off in a different direction, or a State may have a logical reason for doing something differently. For decades trucks travelling from Melbourne to Brisbane had different load capacities in each State plus a whole lot of other differences. We said that was ridiculous and eventually the governments could see the benefit of being able to carry a full load from Point A to Point B, so they came up with a concept where they would have their quartely meetings together and thrash out a National rule, then they would pick a State to be the enacting State to democratically debate the rule and pass it. When that rule was gazetted in the enacting State, all the other States would enact a mirrored rule by default, i.e. it didn't have to be debated. And so the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator was born. I recommended a staff of about 6 to assess the problem rules, settle on a common rule and then send that to the enacting State.

The enacting State chosen was Queensland, the current staff level is "more than 830" and growing.

I am aware of the history/vested State interest and resultant problems - none of which is to the economic or safety benefit, of the nations driving public. Apathy Rules!!😈

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

The enacting State chosen was Queensland, the current staff level is "more than 830" and growing.

Isn't Qld bitching about lack of money (generally) ?

How did this happen.

53 minutes ago, BurnieM said:

Isn't Qld bitching about lack of money (generally) ?

How did this happen.

Almost certainly the other States and Territories (CWLTH) are shaering costs.

Like changes to aviation regulations, each State publicised it conducted public information sessions and the industries went along with it.

When it was obvious that a commonality body was morphing into a giant imitation of Queensland Transport there was no significant complaint. "Services" have been expanded into overdimensional permit issue, road compliance and enforcement......and the weight and rule variations were still there last time I looked.

Why call Vic, Mexico also? It's not that clever since Mexico is hotter than USA because it's CLOSER to the Equator. Same as Queensland and the NT and top of WA because it gets more sun.. I can draw you a diagram or Google it Mate. Nev

Western Australia 

Has a different maximum vehicle width than the other states . It earns money from ' interstate driver ' .

spacesailor 

30 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Western Australia 

Has a different maximum vehicle width than the other states . It earns money from ' interstate driver ' .

spacesailor 

NHVR have just introduced an increased a national truck width to 2550 mm.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, turboplanner said:

We are six Sovereign States each with its own Parliament. The public can want everything the same, the road authorities can agree and also want everything the same, but in our democracy a law has to go through both Houses of each State Parliament where the members have competing priorities and a single Member of Parliament from any State can send that State off in a different direction, or a State may have a logical reason for doing something differently. For decades trucks travelling from Melbourne to Brisbane had different load capacities in each State plus a whole lot of other differences. We said that was ridiculous and eventually the governments could see the benefit of being able to carry a full load from Point A to Point B, so they came up with a concept where they would have their quartely meetings together and thrash out a National rule, then they would pick a State to be the enacting State to democratically debate the rule and pass it. When that rule was gazetted in the enacting State, all the other States would enact a mirrored rule by default, i.e. it didn't have to be debated. And so the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator was born. I recommended a staff of about 6 to assess the problem rules, settle on a common rule and then send that to the enacting State.

and mostly clowns that fine truck drivers for absolute rubbish every day.

6 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

i am on the road most days and the only yellow lines i have seen are above the snow line . maybe i need to look closer. turbo said he introduced the national vehicle regulator to australia so he should know.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BrendAn said:

i am on the road most days and the only yellow lines i have seen are above the snow line . maybe i need to look closer. turbo said he introduced the national vehicle regulator to australia so he should know.

I found this is less than 30 seconds; a little help from Victorian Legal Aid

xYellowLine.pdf