Engine mounts - lubrication

I work at a maintenance organisation. Have never seen it done. Engine oil can damage the rubber in engine mounts.

• Agree 2

It depends upon the material's chemical specification of the mount.

Rubber, Nylon, Neoprene, Polyurethane, EPDM... They all respond differently to different types of lubricants; Mineral Oil Derivative, Synthetic Oil Derivative, Silicone Based Grease, Rubber Grease, Vegetable Plant Oil Derivative, Carbon Graphite Powder, Chalk Rock Powder.

Best to always consult a Materials Specification chart to see what substances and exposure times have a Severe Moderate or Minor affect.

For fitting flexible rubber type components baby powder makes life easy; and everything will smell like fresh nappies!

Boot polish works wonders on nylon plastic rubber derivatives; stops them drying out and cracking

Edited by Area-51
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, jackc said:

A LAME OK’ed these engine mounts on my 912 powered Aeropup.

IMG_4336.jpeg

IMG_4345.jpeg

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4346.jpeg

IMG_4340.jpeg

IMG_4343.jpeg

i don't know about them. if they were mine i would replace them. pretty ugly.

2 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

i don't know about them. if they were mine i would replace them. pretty ugly.

Replaced them all, nuts as well. I did it all as part of the 5 year rubber replacement among other things the LAME did not do……

Just now, jackc said:

Replaced them all, nuts as well. I did it all as part of the 5 year rubber replacement among other things the LAME did not do……

well done jack.  glad you changed the nuts too, they were not to flash either. 

I have had a lot of success with Molykote 111 where a  "rubber" lubricant is required.

One tube will last me up to 2 years, so despite its initial cost, it works to be  quite economical.

In general products containing hydrocarbons (engine oil/fuel/ many polishes/ etc) should not on "rubber"

Edited by skippydiesel

The only thing to use on rubber items for a lubricant is tyre mounting paste. All other petroleum-based products will eventually have a detrimental effect on rubber-containing products - even silicone sprays.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

The only thing to use on rubber items for a lubricant is tyre mounting paste. All other petroleum-based products will eventually have a detrimental effect on rubber-containing products - even silicone sprays.

Tyre mounting paste... fancy name for soap

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not quite. Personal care soaps contain numerous additional ingredients that are not necessarily beneficial for tyre mounting. Proper tyre mounting paste contains rust inhibitor, and dries somewhat tacky to prevent tyre bead slippage on the rim. In fact, there are plenty of undesirable additives in some personal care soaps that are not even good for your skin, or your health.

AUSTRALIANBOTANICALSOAP.COM.AU

Your health and peace of mind are worth the extra attention when selecting the right soap for your daily routine.

Edited by onetrack
addendum...
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, onetrack said:

Not quite. Personal care soaps contain numerous additional ingredients that are not necessarily beneficial for tyre mounting. Proper tyre mounting paste contains rust inhibitor, and dries somewhat tacky to prevent tyre bead slippage on the rim. In fact, there are plenty of undesirable additives in some personal care soaps that are not even good for your skin, or your health.

AUSTRALIANBOTANICALSOAP.COM.AU

Your health and peace of mind are worth the extra attention when selecting the right soap for your daily routine.

I have a feeling that the definition of a soap is not limited to the type used for personal hygiene

"Soaps are potassium or sodium salts of a carboxylic acid having a long aliphatic chain attached to it"

• Informative 1

There is one overlooked " grease " , by the name of Lanolin.  

It is the oil from sheep's ( wool ) hair .

I have used it on rubber & it hasn't damaged it , after five years . It still has a little

Shine left .

Not ' animal ' fat , as it is only in the fleece. 

spacesailor

• Like 2

12 hours ago, onetrack said:

Silicone comes in may forms - some may have hydrocarbons present.

Silicone spray. The WD40 Silicon is almost rubbish - I use it for jobs where I don't feel high lubricity or persistence is required. CRC Automotive Silicone on the other hand is in a galaxy of its own, compared with the likes of WF40.

I suspect that many "sprays" have a hydrocarbon thinner in them.

Molykote 111 is a silicone grease that is approved for use in food preparation/manufacturing - I doubt any hydrocarbons present.

24 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

There is one overlooked " grease " , by the name of Lanolin.  

It is the oil from sheep's ( wool ) hair .

I have used it on rubber & it hasn't damaged it , after five years . It still has a little

Shine left .

Not ' animal ' fat , as it is only in the fleece. 

spacesailor

Yeah! I have only occasionally used it (Lanox) but like the idea that its of organic origin and is therefore likly to have very low toxicity (if any) is appealing. I would steer away from the pressurised spray cans and go with the liquid applicators (less likly to be thinned with hydrocarbon)

• Like 1

Talk to your local school bus operators and see what they do on the rubber floors of their buses.

75% will do nothing but 25% will have smooth, shiny floors and clean and use a floor wax regularly.

The summary……

Siloxane containing products appear to be the most common go to material for vulcanised rubber protection.

Lanolin based products should also be ok, although lanolin has a relatively low melting point, so it may need to be re-applied if temps under the cowl are consistently hot.

Don’t use Vaseline.

Most of those bushes don't need lubricant. The "GIVE" is in the rubber. Clean rubber with glycerine. Petroleum makes it expand and weaken. If you get oil on a tyre clean it as quickly as possible.. There's a rubber grease available for use in auto hydraulic systems.   Nev

On 25/06/2024 at 11:14 AM, skippydiesel said:

Yeah! I have only occasionally used it (Lanox) but like the idea that its of organic origin and is therefore likly to have very low toxicity (if any) is appealing. I would steer away from the pressurised spray cans and go with the liquid applicators (less likly to be thinned with hydrocarbon)

I hate to be pedantic but regular motor oil, and petrol has an organic origin. But I know what you mean by organic in this sense- non-hydrocarbon.

4 minutes ago, facthunter said:

What are you lubricating rubber for? It's not used in large angular displacement situations . Nev

I think I general people do it when it's hard to press it in to something. I had to use a bit of soapy water to get my engine mounts in. It was insanely difficult 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

I think I general people do it when it's hard to press it in to something. I had to use a bit of soapy water to get my engine mounts in. It was insanely difficult 

"Easy- peasy" with a smear of Molykote 111 is a silicone grease 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

"Easy- peasy" with a smear of Molykote 111 is a silicone grease 

Too late now 😄

If I ever even get this stupid thing flying, I won't be keeping it long enough to ever have to worry about the mounts 😄 

• Haha 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

Too late now 😄

If I ever even get this stupid thing flying, I won't be keeping it long enough to ever have to worry about the mounts 😄 

Now now!  Get her flying and the shear joy, wonder & privilege of flight, will grab you and all of the past struggle will be  a distant memory😈

• Like 4
  • Agree 1