Three engine C-5A Galaxy

The Lockheed C-5 Galaxy is a very large aircraft that often has mechanical issues. This is expected since it's a 50-year-old jet with many systems spread across its large airframe. Luckily, USAF mechanics are skilled at fixing it. 

For example, instead of flying with a broken engine, mechanics remove it completely to reduce drag. This makes the flight easier. Taking off with only three engines on a four-engine plane requires careful control to avoid losing control on the runway. Pilots must advance two engines first, then gradually the third to maintain balance.

threeengineC5.jpg.1f387347344bf3ef06d890490162cd50.jpg

• Informative 1

Air France 066, following one of it's Airbus 380 lobbing an outboard engine core onto Greenland in 2017 considered the following: (courtesy of Wiki)

"Air France originally announced plans to ferry the aircraft back to Europe for repair, with an inoperable replacement engine installed, for reasons of weight and balance.[25] Such a flight requires special operating procedures, and thus rehearsal by the crew in a simulator.[25] That plan was revised and the aircraft was ferried back from Goose Bay Airport to Charles de Gaulle Airport[26] on 6 December 2017 using four operational engines and an Air France crew.[

QANTAS certainly had a procedure for a 3 engine ferry on the 747's, and there was a story that they used it to recover one from Darwin during the Cyclone Tracy evacuations.

The inoperable engine was blanked off the same way as when carrying an extra engine underwing.

Ferry with essential crew only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deano747 said:

QANTAS certainly had a procedure for a 3 engine ferry on the 747's, and there was a story that they used it to recover one from Darwin during the Cyclone Tracy evacuations.

The inoperable engine was blanked off the same way as when carrying an extra engine underwing.

Ferry with essential crew only.

Hi Deano,

Probably only one of many interesting stories post Cyclone Tracy.

Trying to recall being in a conversation with Capt Reg Adkins (I Flew For MMA fame) many years ago when MMA, or whatever iteration followed it, introduced the BAE 146 in WA, and developed a habit of leaving passengers stranded all over the state. I understand 3 engined retrivals occurred there.

I find it interesting that in the Air France scenario that the three engine option was run through the simulator, but not put in practice.

2 hours ago, Bennyboy320 said:

We had a 3 engine ferry procedure on the BAe146 when I flew it with National Jet Systems, actually used it once to get an a/c to the BNE maintenance facility.

I understood the 146 sometimes needed a 5th. One to carry as a spare?  

Perhaps that's why they are so quiet.:wink:

Edited by planedriver
  • Like 1