G'day from WA.

I've been posting on here for a week so it must be time I introduced myself. I/we are located in Cue, Western Australia.

I am supposed to be retired but I seem to run off my feet everyday. If you want a break don't give up your day job but if you want a life retire early 😉

Ever since I was a little kid I've always wanted to fly but just never has the opportunity or simply couldn't afford it. About 30 years ago I bought a Polaris microlight flew it briefly but it was unregistered and I never had a license so it got parked up. I got it off the ground the other day by winching it to the shed roof on a block and tackle. Hopefully it won't stay there too long.

Everywhere is a long way from Cue and I just ticked over to the wrong side of 70 so I decided it was time to learn to fly. I sold a couple of gold leases to finance my new interest and within the same week started lessons. With winter weather and other delays it took me six weeks to get 25 hrs up but I couldn't go solo without my medical. My Class 2 medical took three months and I couldn't sit around Perth waiting for it so even though it eventually came in I've not had the opportunity to get back there.

I'm learning to fly in an Evector Harmony so I decided to buy a Sportstar. Two came up, one in a hanger at Jandakot and one in a hanger in Queensland. Both need some work to get in the air but that hopefully makes them more affordable. The owner of the one in Jandakot said he wants to sell but seems to have gone missing. He hasn't turned up when he said he would and no longer answers the phone or messages 🤨. The next one is in Queensland nearly 5000km up the road so that's where I'm headed this coming week if my plans come together.

Of course all good plans are only made to be broken. I came home with the plan of leaving here on 16th but I had a rear axle noise that needed attention. Further investigation showed that I need a new set of diff gears so I ordered them express freight from Sydney. They went missing so a reordered set arrived, 650km south, in Perth on Friday. Hopefully they'll be here tomorrow and I'll be bolting it back together to leave sometime midweek.

Phil

• Like 10

Good luck. Aeroplanes are a great way to  get rid of your money.   Keep the weight off the nosewheel. Be aware of wind changes.  Nev

• Like 3

Welcome to the group. I was stuck in Newman just up the road from you during Covid and decided to buy a Jabiru J230 which was located in QLD. A LAME/Ferry pilot based in Perth went over, got it ready and ferried it across to WA for me (he had border exemptions, I did not) I used it in WA (Northam, Newman and Geraldton) for a year and a bit then flew it back to QLD, containerised it and shipped it to NZ. All the best for getting an aircraft. I enjoyed flying in the Pilbara especially in the winter.

• Like 3

It's an ADDICTION really. Be warned.. Make sure your instructor gives you a thorough grounding in the basics.  Don't rush your solo.  Nev

• Like 1

I arrived in Brisbane today. I've been to Bunnings and purchased a Snake Eye camera so that I can get a visual on the Rotax bore.

image.thumb.png.be7931e939138b5959d0a7a6b01df6da.png

And then I shot down to Eagle Farm and purchased a 24V air compressor to help clean the plane down for transport.

image.thumb.png.d285d045cbf2e9fc8f779af8063e9c6a.png

I need the compressor for to replace the two airbag compressors on the bus and I've been putting off buying it. I left the finance manager in Cue so there was nothing stopping me buying it today 😉. I plan to get my first look at the Sportstar tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Give us a review on the borescope when you’ve used it. I’m interested to know how it goes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sfGnome said:

Give us a review on the borescope when you’ve used it. I’m interested to know how it goes.

I've used the exact same one to inspect hard to reach bolts etc in my plane. Happy enough with it, particularly for the price 🙂

Hi MoneyBox

Welcome! I am based in Denmark WA and there is a very nice Sportstar for sale in my hangar.  He wants $80k for it which I think is a fair price. Let me know if you want more info.

cheers

Neil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2024 at 2:25 PM, Neil Denmark said:

Hi MoneyBox

Welcome! I am based in Denmark WA and there is a very nice Sportstar for sale in my hangar.  He wants $80k for it which I think is a fair price. Let me know if you want more info.

cheers

Neil

Thanks Neil, The wife said "You've already got one. Stop looking" and of course I do as I'm told 😇

After wash.jpg

Instruments1.jpg

• Like 1

On 31/07/2024 at 11:32 AM, danny_galaga said:

I've used the exact same one to inspect hard to reach bolts etc in my plane. Happy enough with it, particularly for the price 🙂

I've never used one of these so I not the best person to do a review but it did give me a good enough view of the bore and piston. It clearly shows the original hone crosshatch in the bore and the bit of carbon buildup on the pistons but everything appears to be in perfect condition. It has very good oil pressure but leaking fuel from a carburettor bowl so I'm not going to start it until I'm home. I've just bought a shabby looking trailer with good tyres and bearings. All lights worked until they blew my tail light fuses so a bit of work needed there.

I've unbolted the wings but not removed them until we're ready to return home. We have a few weeks of touring Queensland first to see if anybody left a few gem stones and gold for us to find. I bought a big roll of carpet underfelt and I've got some old mattresses coming. I've go a roll of 2m wide black plastic to wrap it to keep to stones off too.

• 3 weeks later...

We made a few minor improvements to the trailer to support the wheels and loaded it up. I’ve towed it to Blackbutt where I have power and resources to properly secure the wheels tomorrow. I’ve decided to allow it to ride on its own suspension with only the tyres anchored to the trailer. We’ll give it some plastic wrap for stone protection for the 5000km trip home. 

IMG_7580.jpeg

IMG_7581.jpeg

IMG_7582.jpeg

IMG_7579.jpeg

• Like 4

Hi Phil

Thanks for the photo update - we can live your journey! Looks like a good trailer - how did you get the main wheels over those mudguards??!

You have now started on the journey of collecting bits and tools for your new toy...

Today I took delivery of an oil filter cutter to inspect old filters - $27 & free postage on ebay 🙂

I'm sure you will attract plenty of attention on the trip home - even if you wrap her in black plastic!!

Drive safe and look after her.

image.thumb.jpeg.c060c00c4f23040131c8a1e8956c0201.jpeg

On 25/08/2024 at 6:14 PM, Moneybox said:

We made a few minor improvements to the trailer to support the wheels and loaded it up. I’ve towed it to Blackbutt where I have power and resources to properly secure the wheels tomorrow. I’ve decided to allow it to ride on its own suspension with only the tyres anchored to the trailer. We’ll give it some plastic wrap for stone protection for the 5000km trip home. 

IMG_7580.jpeg

IMG_7581.jpeg

IMG_7582.jpeg

IMG_7579.jpeg

Could consider two foam pool noodles with timber up the centres and tape together so they hold the horizontal Stab and elevator in line.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Neil Denmark said:

Hi Phil

Thanks for the photo update - we can live your journey! Looks like a good trailer - how did you get the main wheels over those mudguards??!

You have now started on the journey of collecting bits and tools for your new toy...

Today I took delivery of an oil filter cutter to inspect old filters - $27 & free postage on ebay 🙂

I'm sure you will attract plenty of attention on the trip home - even if you wrap her in black plastic!!

Drive safe and look after her.

image.thumb.jpeg.c060c00c4f23040131c8a1e8956c0201.jpeg

I came armed with the basics to build a trailer if needed. I used the boat winch with a sling wrapped around the rear of the fuselage and the other end over a roof truss. I managed to stand on a mobile platform they use to fuel high wing tanks and then tossed the end of the strap over truss. It was a bit difficult balancing the plane on the front wheel while I slowly reversed the trailer back. It was a three man job, one to wind the plane forward on the trailer winch, one to stop it tumbling over and me reversing back. Not easy but it worked. My brother and I built the little pads for each wheel the previous day then I got a call from an old school friend that I hadn’t seen for fifty years. He drove down from Bundaberg to Laidley and helped load up. Good friends are hard to find 😅.

I’ve spent most of my life working in the automotive field and I’ve never seen an oil filter cut open until recently on a Rotax service. What a great simple diagnostic procedure. How come I’ve never seen it done in the automotive world?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The U/C will try to spread as the suspension works/.   Nev

Yes Nev, we allowed about 40mm a side before to tyres contact the 50mm angle. Today I used some light chain to keep the wheels in

IMG_7583.thumb.jpeg.8fd72e707557bd49a0df54ef242e65d5.jpeg

• Like 2

Most major companies just analyse the " oil " to see how long to next servise .

Or " replacement " .

Far too expensive for our use, so the next best is ' see what the filter has caught ' . 

spacesailor

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Moneybox said:

I came armed with the basics to build a trailer if needed. I used the boat winch with a sling wrapped around the rear of the fuselage and the other end over a roof truss. I managed to stand on a mobile platform they use to fuel high wing tanks and then tossed the end of the strap over truss. It was a bit difficult balancing the plane on the front wheel while I slowly reversed the trailer back. It was a three man job, one to wind the plane forward on the trailer winch, one to stop it tumbling over and me reversing back. Not easy but it worked. My brother and I built the little pads for each wheel the previous day then I got a call from an old school friend that I hadn’t seen for fifty years. He drove down from Bundaberg to Laidley and helped load up. Good friends are hard to find 😅.

I’ve spent most of my life working in the automotive field and I’ve never seen an oil filter cut open until recently on a Rotax service. What a great simple diagnostic procedure. How come I’ve never seen it done in the automotive world?

Pretty common. With heavy machinery and marine diesels to open the filter for a look. As you say I have never seen it done in a car workshop.

• Informative 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:53 PM, onetrack said:

You can currently buy black plastic stretch wrap in a 50M roll from Adaptalift, on special for $14.48 a roll. It's great for wrapping items that need protection from dust, rain, etc.

IMG_7596.thumb.jpeg.62c7f65c2e4068246289f7cd8e647cb1.jpeg

Thank you, the pallet wrap worked well but the shape of the plane makes it a bit difficult.

• Like 2