G'day from WA.

2 hours ago, kiwiaviator said:

You might save fuel over the 5000kms if you feather the prop 😉 

If I get a headwind on the Nullarbor I might just fire up the Rotax. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You seem to have "the job" well in hand - just sorry I couldn't sell you the aircraft carrier 😎

Hope you have a few roles of packing tape, to put around that wing padding/packing - it looks like it may start to flap itself to destruction..

I very much doubt that the prop will turn, due to gear ratio/compression - bungees look good though😈

let us know how the trip goes all the best.

Edited by skippydiesel

1 hour ago, skippydiesel said:

You seem to have "the job" well in hand - just sorry I couldn't sell you the aircraft carrier 😎

Hope you have a few roles of packing tape, to put around that wing padding/packing - it looks like it may start to flap itself to destruction..

I very much doubt that the prop will turn, due to gear ratio/compression - bungees look good though😈

let us know how the trip goes all the best.

Yes Skippy, sorry I didn’t take your transporter but it was too far from the plane to work out how to fit it in. The tail wing had to come off and then the rudder height looked like it might have been a problem. 

I’ve used up two rolls of 3M clear packing tape so it’s a bit more secure than it looks. I still have some of the glad wrap left and I’ll get more tape in case I need it. 

• Like 3

Firstly welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you are well and truely set up for new adventures in your life when you get back home with a new toy to play with.

If you happen to bump ino my old neighbor when you get to WA who I lent a few grand to and she never returned, simply wish her well , I'm over it Haha!

Stay safe, lot's of fun and learning is in store to come.

Rgds Planey 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

43 minutes ago, planedriver said:

Firstly welcome to the forums.

Sounds like you are well and truely set up for new adventures in your life when you get back home with a new toy to play with.

If you happen to bump ino my old neighbor when you get to WA who I lent a few grand to and she never returned, simply wish her well , I'm over it Haha!

Stay safe, lot's of fun and learning is in store to come.

Rgds Planey 

Planey, I'll keep my eyes open for her while trying to track down those houses and cars I lost in the twenty years before I met my Mrs M (my best friend). However I managed to let it all go. It only took a few years of intensive therapy and we're all good now 😵‍💫.

I'm tired of an eight hour drive just to go shopping. That was one of the reasons for learning to fly but it was a childhood dream that never materialized until I reached an age when I said to hell with other peoples opinions, it's my time that's running short so it was time to take a selfish approach to life. The plane, well that's a necessity. How can I learn to fly without wings? Phil 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Such is life where you live. An 8hr drive for shopping would not be too appealing, i'd sooner fly there as well.

In Sydney where I live, home delivery of half warm food is delivered by an ever growing miriad of tempory Australians risking their lives delivering it on 2 bob poorly maintained mopeds whose lights rarely work and electric bikes much to the despair of other motorists.

I'd sooner op for your plan and go by air.:thumb up:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had intended to do some shopping in Victoria but I just took a look at Windy.com. The time is right to head for home.

image.thumb.png.8f89a726fc13fc97ecffa81c1212130b.png

The bus doesn't like a headwind so I'll set off from Echuca now.

Goinghome.thumb.jpg.4e93fa634914d6ab7f9f1ea2a0d33de3.jpg

• Like 1

MB, I left Echuca for W.A. in the first week of May, and had a stupendous run, with 20-22°, fine days, with a tailwind all the way! I went Echuca-Cohuna-Kerang-Piangil-Manangatang-Ouyen-Panitya.

At Panitya, turn N onto Panitya North Rd and travel N until you get to Mulcra Rd, then turn W onto Mulcra Rd, which turns into Summerton Rd, once you're at the S.A. Border. Keep going until you hit Browns Well Hwy, then turn Right to head to Loxton and Berri.

This little detour avoids the long wait, and the nosiness at Quarantine at Pinnaroo. Naturally, don't take any fruit over the border. Once you reach Berri, head on to Morgan, then turn NW to Burra.

From Burra, head to Spalding, Gulnare, then Crystal Brook. From Crystal Brook, a couple of kays sees you onto the Main North Rd to Port Augusta, and you're laughing, well on your way West.

The only real problems I encountered, was the Morgan-Burra Rd run was into the setting sun, and a lot of bugs, so try to do this section in the middle of the day!

I can offer a tip, that the Ouyen Mallee Bakery is a brilliant feed stop for top class rolls and pastries.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, onetrack said:

MB, I left Echuca for W.A. in the first week of May, and had a stupendous run, with 20-22°, fine days, with a tailwind all the way! I went Echuca-Cohuna-Kerang-Piangil-Manangatang-Ouyen-Panitya.

At Panitya, turn N onto Panitya North Rd and travel N until you get to Mulcra Rd, then turn W onto Mulcra Rd, which turns into Summerton Rd, once you're at the S.A. Border. Keep going until you hit Browns Well Hwy, then turn Right to head to Loxton and Berri.

This little detour avoids the long wait, and the nosiness at Quarantine at Pinnaroo. Naturally, don't take any fruit over the border. Once you reach Berri, head on to Morgan, then turn NW to Burra.

From Burra, head to Spalding, Gulnare, then Crystal Brook. From Crystal Brook, a couple of kays sees you onto the Main North Rd to Port Augusta, and you're laughing, well on your way West.

The only real problems I encountered, was the Morgan-Burra Rd run was into the setting sun, and a lot of bugs, so try to do this section in the middle of the day!

I can offer a tip, that the Ouyen Mallee Bakery is a brilliant feed stop for top class rolls and pastries.

Thanks for that but Victoria is all done. Did Victoria today, I crossed from NSW at Albury this morning, stayed a couple of hours with friends in Ceduna and left via Murray Bridge tonight. I think I've seen it all 😁. I just left Echuca and asked Siri to take me to Ceduna, there were lots of turns and deserted narrow roads but a good run through with a tailwind. I'll get as far as I can tomorrow while the easterly keeps up.

• Like 2

I'm home in Cue WA.

Sportstarunload.thumb.jpg.303d650f57329176367c22e6846d6768.jpg

I booked lessons for early in October so I need to get this thing up and running soon.

Sportstarhome.thumb.jpg.b0ee4f02421e4c38f8ffafd83d4ad464.jpg

My engine oil, filters, carburettor kits and some hoses are already here so I'm busy for a bit. Still no work from Evektor on their recommendations and I'm still having issues with RAAus verifying ownership but that should be sorted out later today. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RFguy said:

sure its OK to point lift with the fork lift ? does it not been to be in a  sling ?

Yes I'm quite sure it's ok to lift in that way. My all aluminium fuselage is flat on the bottom so no points of stress. I cut timber slippers from 180x45 pine and laid them on top of the forks. Keep in mind the whole plane (including the removed wings) is 310kg. That's not a lot of weight to spread over two timber planks. I lifted it straight up and towed the trailer out. I considered the option of slings from the wing mounts but for that I had to manufacture a spreader bar to avoid lateral pressure on the plastic canopy. I have plenty of lifting options with a hiab crane, a chain block, an excavator and a CAT loader but I figured the fork was the best option.

• Like 6