In everyday experience you flip switches down for ON. But in aircraft (and vintage cars now I look at it) up is ON? Why? To me it feels backwards and any time I have to flip a switch in an aircraft I have to think twice.

Here’s what I was taught to make it easier to remember: Consider aircraft switches the same as your trousers. When they’re up, they are on.

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

Up is on in many European homes.

I just boiled the kettle..I can't remember having to flip the switch UP when staying in Holland 😄

• Like 1

My electric jug is ' press down ' for on .

spacesailor

PS : my wall switches are down on , which shows a red dot when on .

Edited by spacesailor
PS added

It's because two bicycle manufacturers from Dayton OH - that decided to go into the aircraft manufacturing business - also decided that switches on aircraft had to be the same as American houses - which are UP for ON.

And another interesting reason I've read is because early electrical power switches were the "knife-blade" style, where your pivoting connecting arm swung to a position between two spring-loaded clips to power up.

The spring-loaded clips were placed at the TOP of the switch mechanism, so that you swung the connecting arm UP to complete the circuit.

It was thought that if the spring-loaded clips were positioned at the bottom and the arm swung DOWN to power up, that this could lead to accidental powering up from the OFF position, if gravity ever overcame what was holding the connecting arm UP.

As you could imagine, having an electrical motor accidentally start up when you were working on it, or working on the driveline it drove, would lead to some disastrous accidents.

• Informative 4

The up-down thing Is to do with what hemisphere (north or south) you live in ...In houses on or very near the equator the switches are left for on right for off

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Red said:

The up-down thing Is to do with what hemisphere (north or south) you live in ...In houses on or very near the equator the switches are left for on right for off

I imagine near the equator they use push buttons 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now I ask this because I have installed the switches in my plane as down= ON. This works well for me, but may be confusing if someone else flies it 🤔

At worst I can turn them around, just need to relabel where it says ON.

• Informative 1

I have seen it strongly suggested that you should always make your cockpit as similar to everyone else’s as possible, so that other people can fly it without any problems (also helps with selling in the future). 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

It is also advisable to make them the same as other aircraft, so no confusion results when you've learnt to fly on another aircraft, or move onto flying another aircraft.

• Agree 2

Consistency is a big part of safety.

This is one of those situations (switches up for ON) where following the norm/herd/tradition is by far the best course (in my World only for aircarft).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have the impression, that the USA is the only jurisdiction where airspeed is commonly measured in mph.

I know its allowed in Au but how common is it?

I guess it doesn't matter for RAA aircraft, as long as the pilot is familiar with the aircrafts stall & speed limits in mph.

The big advantage is when reporting cruise speed - always faster in mph😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

It's weighed on me a bit, but in the same vein as everyone being on the same page regarding the switches, I think it best if everyone is on the same page regarding speed. I have correct mph placard on the panel, and also have knots placard to replace it down the track. 

Navigating should be a little more straightforward too I would imagine. 

Edited by danny_galaga

Critical switches should be guarded. When the cover is closed it's not actuated. Really, there's no consistency. The later model Vickers Viscounts had UP to ON. on the fuel pump switches.. Nev

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

Critical switches should be guarded. When the cover is closed it's not actuated. Really, there's no consistency. The later model Vickers Viscounts had UP to ON. on the fuel pump switches.. Nev

That's why I liked DOWN for ON. It's pretty hard to accidentally knock an ignition switch UP by accident. I didn't even worry about guards. Now imma hafta put on those hokey looking missile switch cover things. Actually I'll probably 3D print something less bogan 😄 

• Informative 1

On 25/07/2024 at 9:44 PM, skippydiesel said:

I have the impression, that the USA is the only jurisdiction where airspeed is commonly measured in mph.

I know its allowed in Au but how common is it?

I guess it doesn't matter for RAA aircraft, as long as the pilot is familiar with the aircrafts stall & speed limits in mph.

The big advantage is when reporting cruise speed - always faster in mph😈

If I call two miles west of you and heading in your direction in Nm, so you don’t want to be thinking in statute miles if close.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Stick to NM and we  cover it. . If we mix in Kms God help us. Depending on aircraft performance  the TIME TO will vary quite a lot, The safest separation is height.  Nev

• Like 1

Statute miles is a measured distance. 

Nautical miles is a different length. 10 NM = 18.52 klms .

Statute miles is ,                                10 m = 16.0934 klms . ( by google )

Don't bring shipping.  Furlongs,  chains & fathoms . Here 

spacesailor

Ive been told that up is ON because in an emergency it is is easier to swipe down to turn everything off than to swipe up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

It's far from standardised  so make sure you know. Don't move your hands around the cockpit like  a  BLADE off a ceiling fan. I've known people to actually breaks the switch off with "ACE of the BASE" rapidity. Planes aren't built like Bulldozers.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Haha 1