Reverting Rotax 582 to pre-mix fuel

Tony

Hi Guys. Because our Rotax 582 (150 hours, 100 psi and 90 psi compression) would not start so often and the Spark Plugs are oily, would it to be a good idea to eliminate oil injection pump and revert to pre-mix fuel 1:50  ?

If the oil injection is adjusted correctly the plugs should not be oiled up. I removed the oil injection from my blue 582 from new because I did not want the big oil tank on the thruster and I like simple things. Only carry the oil needed in the fuel tank, cannot fail.

If your engine is mounted inverted then oil will run down to the plugs when parked regardless of oil system. Had to remove the plug from the Skycraft Scout and clean before each flight. 

Edited by Thruster88
  • Informative 1

4 hours ago, Tony said:

Hi Guys. Because our Rotax 582 (150 hours, 100 psi and 90 psi compression) would not start so often and the Spark Plugs are oily, would it to be a good idea to eliminate oil injection pump and revert to pre-mix fuel 1:50  ?

Some reasons 582's can be hard to start. Weak battery, slow cranking will not produce any spark from the Ducati ignition. Throttle not closed completely results in no choke. Gapping one plug per cylinder at 0.4mm (standard 0.5mm) will improve starting performance. 

• Informative 1

Thruster88, thanks for your input.

Ok, what did you do with the second much smaller Oil Tank, which is supplying oil to Rotary Valves by gravity ?

23 minutes ago, Tony said:

Thruster88, thanks for your input.

Ok, what did you do with the second much smaller Oil Tank, which is supplying oil to Rotary Valves by gravity ?

That one has to stay with the engine, no oil is used there unless the crankshaft or rotary disc valve shaft seals are leaking.

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Is this the "Lynfield" Drifter?

I ordered and received my brand new 582 crate motor from Rotax, 2 years ago WITHOUT oil injection. The existing 582 is also premix,

started in 3 cranks the other day after 4 months, closed throttle, full choke.  Oil injection is another layer of complexity.

It's for the mentally disengaged. No need to mix oil.. Someone will put in straight fuel. (Murphy's law). You should mix fuel as you use it and shake both the Oil container and the mix. As a purist I favour mixing it MYSELF then I KNOW where I'm at. These days  all but the most basic things have OIL PUMPS. but remember straight fuel can wash off oil. 50:1 is also a bit dry especially, for a cold motor. and you may have to enrichen the mixture a bit if you go to premix. Lean mixtures are not tolerated well by 2 strokes. Nev

• Informative 1