The Piano Has been Drinking

It's a great fresh take on airshow stunts. How many times do you see the same thing at every airshow - individual stunt routines, airforce formation flying etc. This would have been such a hoot to see without any prior knowledge 😊

I’d love to know what strengthening and wear protection is built into the wing tips. It reminded me of the stupid things we used to do on push bikes when we were kids and thought we were bulletproof. It’d be so much fun if only there wasn’t the ever-present possibility of a very sharp stop. 

• Like 1

It's not new. a bloke at RNAC did that in a Tiger as far back as the late  50's. He called himself "Bent Strut". His real name was Bill McRohan.  Takes a fair bit of skill.   Nev

• Agree 2
  • Informative 2

Yep, there was a guy used to do it in a Cub in NZ in the 70s. Dressed as a little old lady, would hobble out on a stick. Started his routine with a great deal of careering round the field before actually taking off.

Grass fields, so he didn't drag the tips, but a pretty good show for all that.....)

There was a guy at AirVenture about 15 to 20 years ago who did something similar in a Yellow Cub but he also lost an aileron halfway through and managed to fly just as good (or just as bad) with it missing. The first time I saw it my heart missed a beat because I was walking along then looked up to watch the aileron depart and him going crazy out of control, not even knowing he was an air show performer because i had been in one of the buildings. Great days !

Edited by FlyBoy1960
  • Like 1

I witnessed a similar show in a Pilatis Porter at an Army display at Oakey many years ago. Unfortunately it did not end well as he bounced it, and the wheels went up through the wings!

• Informative 1
  • Sad 1