Right hand circuit with high wing plane

1 hour ago, spacesailor said:

I agree, 

I have only flown A22 foxbat .  ( not counting trial flights )

But my problem was .

They're  all different to the Hummel bird I want too fly .

Joy-stick between legs , & no flaps or toe-breaks .

So will never learn to fly a Hummel bird . Untill I slide into that small cockpit and 

Do it myself .

spacesailor

I know someone in what seems exactly your position, he has built a HummelBird..doesnt yet have a Licence and there isnt really anything remotely similar with 2 seats and dual controls to get experience on, he has been on the journey to get to fly it for years.

A Hummelbird is maybe not a great choice for a novice to get themselves into flying im afraid

• Agree 1

Therewas before RAA .

16 builders here in Australia .

One, that I know went to RAA regulation 95-19  .

Two were sent to the tip . scrapped. 

Mine sits forlornly, in my garage .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

13 hours ago, spacesailor said:

I agree, 

I have only flown A22 foxbat .  ( not counting trial flights )

But my problem was .

They're  all different to the Hummel bird I want too fly .

Joy-stick between legs , & no flaps or toe-breaks .

So will never learn to fly a Hummel bird . Untill I slide into that small cockpit and 

Do it myself .

spacesailor

Perhaps somebody has a Hummel bird on a simulator?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Moneybox said:

I’ve been training at Jandakot and we often switch left to right depending on what the helicopters are doing. We swap to clear of their training area. Then we swap depending on the wind we could fly from 06/24 or 12/30 in either direction. That’s a lot of options and you don’t know the runway or circuit direction until you call ATIS prior to your flight.

I think it would be irresponsible of a trainer to train a pilot on one airstrip if other options are available. On one very busy day early in my training we were amongst eight aircraft doing circuits. My instructor said “How about we head for Rottnest?” so we did. We had the Rottnest Island airstrip all to ourselves. 

Then there’s the aircraft. How can we be a fully trained pilot if all we’ve flown is the one model of aircraft? I had to swap from the Evector Harmony to the Bristell while the Harmony had a new engine installed and I didn’t like it however it was perhaps good value to have to adjust to different controls. 

I agree. My own training (sadly over a stupidly long period of time) was Piper Warrior at Darwin International, 3300 metre runway. Jumbos B52s and Concorde land there. Doing orbits while pairs of FA 18s take off. Training area at Delissaville, 1100 metre banana shaped dirt strip with right mostly right hand circuits. Then a huge break from flying. Then an hour or so of gliding at Caboolture, but I didn't like the long time just spent waiting around. Then convert to raaus in a Tecnam Golf at Boonah, grass strip with a hump and sloped. Also an hour or so in a Sling. Then Savage Cub for tailwheel endorsement. 

Then my instructor died in a crash in January and I've found it hard to get back into it. I know Dave wouldn't have wanted anyone to stop flying, and I wasnt specifically or consciously thinking about the crash when I flew the Savannah a few weeks ago. But there it is.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

38 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

I have it .

it came as a ' addon ' to " MSFS " On a 1.4 FLOPPY .

spacesailor

Now you just need a PC with dos and a working floppy drive 😀

• Like 1

If you don't feel like flying don't do it unless you have contracted work to do.. You don't forget how to ride a pushbike. You always have to be prepared for something to happen that's never happened before no matter how many hours you have under your belt. If you stop flying life goes on.. Nev

• Like 3

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

If you don't feel like flying don't do it unless you have contracted work to do.. You don't forget how to ride a pushbike. You always have to be prepared for something to happen that's never happened before no matter how many hours you have under your belt. If you stop flying life goes on.. Nev

Thanks. Yes, I realised that with that last flight. No point continuing if it's not enjoyable. Will start again when I'm in a better frame of mind.

I have always loved the practical art of flying .

I'll never regret spending the money .

In fact I'm thinking of another  'TIF ' flight .

spacesailor

SS, is there anyone offering training in a eurostar near you?, was thinking if you could do a good few hours in a Eurostar that was heavily loaded and do lots of flapless landing in that condition it could get you some ways to handling the Hummelbird (I'm assuming from your profile pic that its a nosewheel version?)

Closest I can think of.

It is , a nose wheel ( for training ) .

And can be easily modified to a ' tailwheel ' at a time the owner is confident in their flying abilities. 

spacesailor

• Informative 1

A cheap  simulator is going to be of limited value beyond getting the Procedures right. Without "MOTION" you can play with it but there's no "feel" and you can "Play" the simulator with practice, same as  any game.. Anyhow this thread is primarily about visibility in turns , is it not?  A Biplane is often the worst of all in that regard for forward view.  Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It took longer than I thought it should have, learning to " push " the rudder, instead of turning with a ' front-wheel ' steering " boxcar " .

I see a " trike " has the " boxcar " steering . Followed by " weight-shift " steering when airborne. 

spacesailor

• Like 1

On 17/8/2024 at 1:01 PM, spacesailor said:

I have always loved the practical art of flying .

I'll never regret spending the money .

In fact I'm thinking of another  'TIF ' flight .

spacesailor

$600 in a 172 these days!!! Are they trying to discourage people?

• Haha 1