Flying Car my bum!

I see on the news (7 Aug 2024) that there is a flying car that will be available soon in Australia. How is it a car I ask. A flying car is a vehicle that can be driven on the road like a car, and when at the airstrip, it can be flown like an aircraft. The 'Two Place Quad Copter' featured in the article cannot be driven like a car as it has no wheels. And even if it did, you'd never be allowed on the road with a machine that has eight rotors capable of slicing and dicing anything in range. Typical low quality idiot reporting that has become the norm these days. (A bit like AI, seems everything these days uses AI which is bullsh*t.) There's my rant for now...

• Like 1

The unit going on display in Melbourne this weekend is an Xpeng eVTOL, built by the Chinese Xpeng car company who will start marketing their EV cars in Australia shortly. The reports are on Herald-Sun/Mercury websites behind paywalls. The report on 7News said the introduction of the eVTOLs could be by the end of the decade. Like cars, their range is limited with an endurance of 30 minutes. Price estimated up to $300,000. However, there was a report that flying taxis would be operating from the city to the airport in 2020, and we know how that worked out.

XpengFlyingCar.thumb.jpg.9e78f26191a9583a853d93add68f9218.jpg

Xpeng EV, one of a number of models.

XpengEV.thumb.jpg.f27beb9e01513abf9efa56d04296f496.jpg

In a nation where any piece of spinning machinery must be fitted with a guard, I can really see this thing going places in the regulatory arena. As Bubbles Fisher would say, "is it safe?" -  and “Does it come in any other colours?” 😄

• Haha 1

On 07/08/2024 at 7:28 PM, BrendAn said:

image.jpeg.06b66d4c692bfd4b7be91ff8be14e904.jpegbeen around for years 😁

Had a sit in that one back around 1969/70ish when it was at the Biggin Hill Air show (UK). It was I think powered by a 6 cylinder Ford motor and was touted around many car shows etc around that time.

You sat in it and just imagined going for a fly. Haha!

• Like 2

Can't the Dukes claim to have been the first to make Dodges fly? Mind you, each flying Dodge apparently had a short lifespan. Gravity is a b****.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

John Wagner of Wellcamp Airport fame, has thrown his fat wallet down, to help finance infrastructure for pilot-less eVTOL taxis.

Of course, with him owning an airport, he can see more money-making synergies in financing the infrastructure for uncrewed air taxis .

WWW.ABC.NET.AU

Businessman John Wagner backs the use of flying taxis ahead of the 2032 Olympics but there are still a few hurdles for the technology to overcome.

Edited by onetrack

Great innit....lets not just produce a new type of aircraft based on a drone but scaled to carry people that has no safety history in of itself..but also lets make it Pilotless!!

I have no idea whether other people will think yea thats ok I'll take a ride, but speaking for myself I think I'd rather stick a fork in my eye

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

Is he really trying to skim the treetops constantly, or is it because that thing is struggling to gain altitude? A few times there, I was sure he was into the trees.

He's game, picking nothing but tiger country to fly over, for what is essentially a totally unproven aircraft?

• Like 1