Brisbane control line club

I've gone a couple of times now. They have a fantastic venue. 3 circles. I'm going to join. My struggles with my stupid ultralight kit have left me hankering for something thats actually fun to do 🙂

IMG_20240818_095725_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, red750 said:

Image rotate.

brisbanecontrollineclub.thumb.jpg.a424621aa3f4a55d12b96108d940696d.jpg

Thanks. This forum and one other I'm in always put my pics sideways. I gave up bothering trying to bend to their wills ages ago 😄

Wow, people still do control line?

I tried that when I was 14. Spent more time trying to adjust the needle valve than I did flying.

Just ordered an electric powered glider kit from Ali express, I reckon I can fly it from the neighbours property up the road. Laser cut balsa, none of this polystyrene stuff.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

We’ve got a big diesel bi-plane at home, i spent last night trying to find photos of it. Sandra’s dad built and flew them throughout his life. It will most likely end up in the Cue Heritage Centre when I get the time to deal with it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

This forum and one other I'm in always put my pics sideways. I gave up bothering trying to bend to their wills ages ago

If you are using Windows, open the photo (say, Xxxxx) in Paint and click the rotate option, select left or right as required and Save As and label as Xxxxx 1.jpg. I use a photo editor, but the result is the same.

Only happens on android. It never seems to matter what I do in the editor, it always ends up sideways or upside down 😄. The exact same picture will appear the right way around on FB and other forums.

Anyway, nice line-up eh?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My memories of flying combat many times with paper streamers out the back requres a bit of spare fuel to help with the on field cremation of models which came off 2nd best.

Argh! those were the days. :oh yeah:

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Interestingly, the don't seem to be doing combat. They do seem to be doing a club speed class. Every club does their own thing. The idea is everyone builds the same plane, engines are standard. The class they devised is right up my alley. They used a modified plan of the Keil Kraft Phantom, which was originally a trainer from the 1940's. And run relatively modern standard .15 sized engines instead of 1940's .10 sized. 

I still have my OS .15 that dad bought me for my 12th birthday. It came with an Aeroflyte Cherokee. Model is long gone of course, but this club class racer would be a lovely use of my old engine 😊

Photos at the bottom of this link are from one of the planes at the club. Actually the same guy that made that aerobatic model .

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1397

004.jpg

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 2

OMG! A Keil Kraft Phantom. That was the very first kit plane I built.

Mine had an 1cc ED Bee (1952 version) up front and was way underpowered, possibly as i'd put too much dope on the wings to get a good finish.

The model proved to be a good way to learn how to get fingers out of the way of the prop when starting.

No hand held electric starters back in those days.

Edited by planedriver
  • Like 3

I still have the scars on 3 fingers on my left hand where I was careless around a prop as a teenager.

Light blue is a silly colour for a prop, but reaching for the needle valve through the prop arc is even sillier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Do you actually run IC engines in your planes .

Sydney seems to have outlawed those & now it's the noisy prop electric only .

I can hear them 2 to three kilometres away at my house  , when it's flying day.

Council by laws , AND WE HAVE A CANDIDATE,  standing against

" wok & anticar " In our Council elections this time .

( we have a road that has become " single file for cars after they took half the road for cyclists).

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
AI again

1 minute ago, spacesailor said:

Do you actually run AIC engines in your planes .

Sydney seems to have outlawed those & now it's the noisy prop electric only .

I can hear them 2 to three kilometres away at my house  , when it's flying day.

Council by laws , AND WE HAVE A CANDIDATE,  standing against " wok & anticar "

In our Council elections this time . ( we have a road that has become " single file for cars after the took half the road for cyclists).

spacesailor

Why are they against Asian cooking?

• Haha 1

WOK or WOKE . by any name a " fry pan " .

Or how to spell these new languages that mustn't offend the offendable .

It will soon be an offence to open a door for the next person .

spacesailor

Um, probably getting a bit off track there spaceman. But yes it's mostly glow engines, the occasional diesel and some guys are messing with electric.

The guys that got this club going some really good arrangements. The field is ex rubbish dump, so no building on it for the foreseeable future. It's also located in an industrial area so no problems with noise. It's also pretty close to Archerfield so no radio controlled models allowed. They have three circles, which is a pretty rare thing nowadays. They have such a large lease, they are subleasing the unused half to a dog club that does that 'chasing things on a wire and pulleys' thing. I call them control line dogs 😄

The dogs don't seem to mind the noise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

15 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Parramatta Radio Control Aircraft club Inc 

The site has map of the field .

spacesailor

I can't tell where their control line circles are.

Took a bit of doing but heres the satellite views of the brissie CL club.

Second pic shows the whole lease. That other part is what they sub lease to the dog club. The whole situation is a breath of fresh air from a council.

Screenshot_20240906-105741.png

Screenshot_20240906-105752.png

Edited by danny_galaga

A little ' similar ' we have the " off lease dog field " ,  next field across .

The person mowing the runway uses a ' remote controlled ' mower .

I gave away model flying when leaving the UK . Still have a few motors though .

spacesailor

PS  :  Have you used  that, ' very old ' APS ' plans hand book ' . 

My older brother put a few of my designs into it .

Edited by spacesailor
PS added
  • Informative 1

I have a picture of my first CL model. Very grainy 110 film, taken by a 12 year old so not the best 😄

You'll need to look carefully, it's behind the cats 😄. I'm.sure I took a closeup too, will have to do some more digging.

I've decided when I build the K K Phantom, I'll paint it to resemble as much as I can my Aeroflyte Cherokee. I can do much better paint jobs nowadays, but it will be a homage to Dad and 12 yo me 😊 

Edit: I rotated the picture. Murphy's Law means I'll rotate it 3 ways before I get it right, so live with it 😁 

IMG_20240907_082034.jpg

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

Hi Danny. I have no idea why you are having such problem with you images. I have played around with them a bit - rotate, crop, adjust colour. Then I cropped down to just the plane.

Danny G's image..jpg

Danny G's CL plane.jpg

• Like 1

Its a friggin nuisance. Like I say, the same picture posted on FB will be the right way around. I've lost interest in figuring out why. I'm finding I'm losing interest in a lot of things nowadays, particularly modern things that should just work.

Aha. Just tried an experiment. I just did the slightest edit (cropped it a smidge) on the picture and saved it. Didn't rotate it. It now posts the right way around. Editing it seems to change some mysterious Android -y info that turns it around on this forum. 

IMG_20240907_082029.jpg

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Haha 1

As mentioned - the balsa glider kit.  Turned out to be a great little kit, all parts laser cut and fit perfectly.  Whole thing went together in about 3 days.

Just waiting now on the radio and battery pack for the motor - I thought I'd be able to use my old radios (which have collected dust for about 30 years) but unfortunately they're beyond salvage.  Still, new ones are heaps cheaper than they used to be.

IMG_20240912_192616988_AE.jpg

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

11 hours ago, Marty_d said:

As mentioned - the balsa glider kit.  Turned out to be a great little kit, all parts laser cut and fit perfectly.  Whole thing went together in about 3 days.

Just waiting now on the radio and battery pack for the motor - I thought I'd be able to use my old radios (which have collected dust for about 30 years) but unfortunately they're beyond salvage.  Still, new ones are heaps cheaper than they used to be.

IMG_20240912_192616988_AE.jpg

Safer too. If you went to a club they won't even allow you to use the old radios. There is a trend, which I think I might do for a 2 channel model I want to build, where people buy really old radios, particularly metal bodied ones like Futaba etc and then install modern radio internals. Great for Old Timer etc because it just adds to the retro look of it all.

A 30 year old radio is in no man's land however - too old to be considered reliable but not old enough to have any vintage appeal.

• Like 1