RAAus election 2024

Strange turn of events - three vacancies, three applications - usually they are "elected unopposed" but there's an election?  Two are current Board Members.

2024 Board Election Notice

Recreational Aviation Australia Limited has received three valid nominations for the 2024 Board Election, where three Director positions are available.

The three candidates are Luke Bayly, Jennifer Laird, and Simon Ozanne. Candidate statements can be found on the
Member Portal.

The election will take place from Thursday 5 September until Thursday 3 October 2024 using 
Vero Voting’s electronic voting platform. All financial members will be sent unique login details by email from Vero Voting prior to the election so they can participate. Please check your junk mail if you do not receive an email.

Note that access to the Candidate Statements is only available by clicking the link above [Member Portal].  If you just log in to RAAus and go to Governance, 2024 Board Nomination .. you won't find anything.

I am just wondering if someone has had a close look at their Constitution and realised the wording isn't very good and an election has to be held regardless of the number of nominations being equal to the number of vacancies.  It seems a waste of time and resources.  5th September (tomorrow) as start date - a bit rushed?

• Informative 1

I was right - "Under the constitution, a ballot is still required."

I hope someone doe a re-write on the Constitution to save members' money.  I got my electronic voting email today.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 05/09/2024 at 12:23 PM, FlyingVizsla said:

I was right - "Under the constitution, a ballot is still required."

I hope someone doe a re-write on the Constitution to save members' money.  I got my electronic voting email today.

It’s no longer an incorporated association with a committee of management. There’s a divide now. People voted for that, so the Company manages itself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2024 at 2:00 PM, FlyingVizsla said:

Strange turn of events - three vacancies, three applications - usually they are "elected unopposed" but there's an election?  Two are current Board Members.

2024 Board Election Notice

Recreational Aviation Australia Limited has received three valid nominations for the 2024 Board Election, where three Director positions are available.

The three candidates are Luke Bayly, Jennifer Laird, and Simon Ozanne. Candidate statements can be found on the
Member Portal.

The election will take place from Thursday 5 September until Thursday 3 October 2024 using 
Vero Voting’s electronic voting platform. All financial members will be sent unique login details by email from Vero Voting prior to the election so they can participate. Please check your junk mail if you do not receive an email.

I have voted and cant remember the ballot paper but it may well be that you can vote for or against and if a candidate gets more nose than yeses they are excluded.  If it is not it should be otherwise we are open to defaulting to duds on the board.

7 hours ago, coljones said:

it may well be that you can vote for or against

There is only one option - to vote for - and to vote for three.  Three vacancies, three candidates.  I think I tried to only vote for two, but it said "incomplete"  - can't remember precisely what words etc.  So; voted for three.

2 hours ago, FlyingVizsla said:

There is only one option - to vote for - and to vote for three.  Three vacancies, three candidates.  I think I tried to only vote for two, but it said "incomplete"  - can't remember precisely what words etc.  So; voted for three.

My latest Telstra AGM permits For, Against, Abstain.  Maybe we should get the RAA Board to change the constitution (while they are fixing the 9 year rule which caused an aborted AGM last year). I find the whole Corporation powers to be a smokescreen for the government and public service and the means to protect useless boards from shareholders. Super and investment fundd are encourage to either not vote or prop up their mates and in the end leaving control of the company in the hands of the board. That is not to say that the committee of the building strata isn't immune from jiggery-pokery.