Melbourne's third runway approved.

A third runway (that was always on the plans from day one) after only 54 years??? Shock Horror.

That'll make all the pissants living nearby outraged. HOW DARE THEY BUILD ANOTHER RUNWAY!

Edited by 440032
  • Haha 1

I haven't been near Tulla since 2017,  but when I did go, the spot I loved to take photos like the one below will most likely be behind a locked gate.

VH-VZABoeing737-8FEYMML20140703.thumb.JPG.4f9029e3bf053f2c985922345ecb53eb.JPG

Perth is getting a 3rd runway, too. It appears Perth Airport is on the way to becoming the Red Rats second biggest gateway after Sydney.

Perth's 3rd runway will be in use by 2028, 3 years before Melbournes 3rd runway is finished.

THEWEST.COM.AU

EMMA KELLY on a bright future

Edited by onetrack

15 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Looks like they'll beat Heathrow to a third runway by the looks of it.

Used to be 5 up until the about 1960, then 4 until about the mid 60's,  and then 3 until 2002.

05/23 was used when the X wind was > 25 knots on the 09/27's. Around 2000m from memory - OK for landing with max brakes and full reverse and floating wasn't an option so a good solid arrival rather than a greaser was the go.

european-landing-approach-charts-from-1960-v0-zpv15qgn9h4c1.jpg.webp

LHR_1968.jpg

2014012346850221.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3?

These are all airports with direct commute to London (I.e. marketed as London airports), despite some being in a neighbouring county (a bit like Avalon, I guess)

• Heathrow 
  • Gatwick
  • London City
  • Luton (aka poop-hole)
  • Stansted 
  • Southend

All direct train to central London with a max travel time of 45 minutes. And all have scheduled CAT (RPT) services.

Bizjet airports include Farnborough, Blackbushe, and Biggin Hill.

• Informative 1

Glad to see the Melbourne Airport Master Plan finally moved the planned 3rd runway from the SE side of the airport to the NW side. Less neighbours to contend with although more complicated logistics (taxiing etc). Cheers.

• Informative 1

Melbourne Airport is dear to my heart. As a young airport electrical engineer with the old DCA in the early 1970s I was involved in installing the Cat 2 approach lights on Rwys 16 & 27, new Nose-In-Guidance parking lighting on the terminal building everytime bigger jets were introduced, electronic security doors in the terminal, additional Illuminated Wind Indicators, power to new test Cat 3 landing system, new controller consoles in the original control tower,  mods for standby & no-break emergency generator sets, etc etc etc. Fresh out of uni, with my own yellow & white DCA vehicle, among the big jets day and sometimes night, the ability to go anywhere, like the never ending tunnels under the terminal, etc. My god, it was heaven on earth for a young fella who loved aviation! Cheers.

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Reminds me of when the (then) new Brisbane airport was nearing completion. They’d installed a newfangled fibre-optic system for all the control/data/speech/etc from the British parent company of the company I worked for, and it didn’t work. Despite us Aussies having nothing to do with the system or its installation, it was cheaper to send me up there than to bring someone out from head office. Thankfully, it was a 5 minute fix (the installation technicians thought they knew better than the engineers who wrote the manual - they didn’t 🙄), but it mean that I spent the next few hours getting a guided tour of the as-yet-unopened airport, including driving at high speed down the middle of the runway which seemed to go forever. For a young bloke who always looked up whenever a plane flew over, it was heaven. 

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

31 minutes ago, sfGnome said:

Reminds me of when the (then) new Brisbane airport was nearing completion. They’d installed a newfangled fibre-optic system for all the control/data/speech/etc from the British parent company of the company I worked for, and it didn’t work. Despite us Aussies having nothing to do with the system or its installation, it was cheaper to send me up there than to bring someone out from head office. Thankfully, it was a 5 minute fix (the installation technicians thought they knew better than the engineers who wrote the manual - they didn’t 🙄), but it mean that I spent the next few hours getting a guided tour of the as-yet-unopened airport, including driving at high speed down the middle of the runway which seemed to go forever. For a young bloke who always looked up whenever a plane flew over, it was heaven. 

Great feeling isn't it!  BTW, I like you signature quote. Cheers.

My claim to fame is I own a Holden WB one-tonne trayback, that was originally a Melbourne Airport runway vehicle! It's painted in a non-standard Holden colour, which I believe was a specific CAA shade of yellow.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BrendAn said:

I was hoping the kooeerup airport would go ahead but seems to have gone quiet. Would have been great not having to travel to Tullamarine from the east.

Oh, I don’t remember that location. But, also as a young DCA engineer (see post above), I used to collect punched tape anemometer (wind speed and direction) measurements from the Tyabb/Baxter area for a possible second Melbourne airport - nothing happened. Cheers.

• Informative 1

If you search Monomeith Park Airfield on Google Maps, you will find the location of the site referred to in this document - 

https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/632223/South-East-Region-Airport-Planning-Pathways-Document.pdf

Comments re planning mention 2030.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, red750 said:

If you search Monomeith Park Airfield on Google Maps, you will find the location of the site referred to in this document - 

https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/632223/South-East-Region-Airport-Planning-Pathways-Document.pdf

Comments re planning mention 2030.

Wow, an old RAAF WW2 airfield site! Must fly over it next time I fly from Tyabb. Some history in link below. Hope they fix the drainage problem first! Cheers.

https://www.ozatwar.com/airfields/monomeithparkairfield.htm

• Informative 1