Qantas take off at Perth - rips up runway.

flying dog

41 minutes ago, Bosi72 said:

I am more concerned that Adelaide is the nearest alternate and A330 isn't the biggest aeroplane flying...

Learmonth is the designated alternate for Perth.

Perth is a designated remote airfield requiring certain operational considerations.

2 hours ago, Jerry_Atrick said:

Although not in the same league, here is one runway that was council laid

As someone who just spent $25k getting our driveway resurfaced, I can sympathise with the owners of that airfield.

• Like 1

Have the Irish gang, cheap asphalt paving merchants, been around again?? A bloke I know with a truck yard, got taken to the cleaners by them, when they "repaved" his yard. Of course, it was cheap cash job, so he got what he deserved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarmac_scam

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

Have the Irish gang, cheap asphalt paving merchants, been around again?? A bloke I know with a truck yard, got taken to the cleaners by them, when they "repaved" his yard. Of course, it was cheap cash job, so he got what he deserved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarmac_scam

They were probably the ones who resurfaced the runway, cheapest quote always wins. That really works out well, look at the state of the roads, new road laid and the first potholes appear within a week.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

Our road became ' crazy paving 'only a few months after a new surfaces was relaid . The gang came back & poured liquid tar into those cracks, and years later it is holding . But the adjacent road joints are full of potholes for me & others to trip on .

spacesailor

• Informative 1