Light plane crash Scenic Rim. Plane totalled, pilot in stable condition

Im pretty sure I know which plane this is and have talked to the pilot a number of times, nice fellow. If him, it's a Rotec powered biplane. Glad he's not seriously injured.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-09-17/light-plane-crash-scenic-rim-boonah-airfield-queensland/104360076

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Glad the pilot is not seriously hurt. Any large tree seems to be a magnet for crash landing aircraft. Even if there is only 1 tree in a paddock the aircraft will hit it.

Bit like motorcycles and cars, you look at the tree you head for it, it’s usually the way.

That makes sense. The hangar to the left with the plane in front of it is where I keep my plane. The paddock straight across the road from that hangar is quite scrubby. I sometimes go over and chat to the horses in it. The scenery in that video looks like it's that paddock now you mention it. 

38 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Hmmm, according to the report, the pilot is in his fifties, but I'm pretty sure the owner is older. So either a typo or someone else was flying. He was selling the plane. 

Was it the Sopwith camel replica that has been on the market up your way 

The wings being torn off would have absorbed a lot of the energy. Given the condition of the fuselage and the type of aircraft the actual impact speed is likely to have been much lower than it would have been with a higher performance aircraft. I have no idea of it's performance envelope but I imagine it would cruise at between 70 & 80 knots Max.

• Like 2