Jetson One eVTOL

2 hours ago, Marty_d said:

Look like a lot of fun.

Bet farmers who currently use helicopters to muster stock are watching that video and wondering about costs.

Spot on ! Subject to duration, with that maneuverability, would make a very good mustering tool.  Might be a little concerned about its reversing capacity - easily connect with a tree/shrub - situational awareness would be paramount. May be some sort of enhanced proximity sensing equipment, similar to automotive that would, inhibit backing inputs, to prevent contacting "stuff" behind aircraft.

If duration an issue - could a petrol powered one be developed -  as in petrol powered generator, supplying current to little pod motors?😈

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

Just one? Then you've got drives and such. Unreliability and weight and how do you vary the speed of each blade? That's how it's controlled.. Is it manoeuvrable or twitchy? Nev

Weight gain would make the addition of a small genset impractical. Even a camping genset is heavy for its size. No-one has yet been able to produce a very light generator.

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

Weight gain would make the addition of a small genset impractical. Even a camping genset is heavy for its size. No-one has yet been able to produce a very light generator.

Not even the turbine powered generators in large aircraft tails??😈

Added bonus, cold probably run on the diesel that almost all land users rely on.

Edited by skippydiesel

Skippy, the lightest weight gas turbine APU I can find is the one on the Bombardier/DHC Dash-8 100 series, and it weighs 115lbs (52kgs). That's the basic twin turbine unit - add in accessories and a fuel supply, and you're probably looking at over 100kgs additional weight. Not exactly a practical proposition, I'd have to say.

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

"But is it safe, and does it come in more than one colour?"  😄("Bubbles" Fisher, of the ABC Inventors programme)

the crashed ones are red and white

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

"But is it safe, and does it come in more than one colour?"  😄("Bubbles" Fisher, of the ABC Inventors programme)

i never missed an episode of the inventors when i was a kid. i got a letter and a t shirt from them for sending in a drawing of my automatic sheep shearer. amazing tech, it looked like a big box, sheep went in one end and walked out the other end fully shawn.  don't know where the wool went though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A few years ago at

11 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Spot on ! Subject to duration, with that maneuverability, would make a very good mustering tool.  Might be a little concerned about its reversing capacity - easily connect with a tree/shrub - situational awareness would be paramount. May be some sort of enhanced proximity sensing equipment, similar to automotive that would, inhibit backing inputs, to prevent contacting "stuff" behind aircraft.

If duration an issue - could a petrol powered one be developed -  as in petrol powered generator, supplying current to little pod motors?😈

A few years ago at Blois I saw a petrol powered man carrying multicopter, I seem to remember it had 8 small petrol motors with servo driven throttles, I was sceptical and remain so...I wonder if he ever got the thing flying?...i'll try dig out a pic

here you go 12 little petrol engines.....Blimey

DSC02169.thumb.JPG.bf1220fc1cb1014f38f4a301ab8054d0.JPG

Edited by Red
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, onetrack said:

Skippy, the lightest weight gas turbine APU I can find is the one on the Bombardier/DHC Dash-8 100 series, and it weighs 115lbs (52kgs). That's the basic twin turbine unit - add in accessories and a fuel supply, and you're probably looking at over 100kgs additional weight. Not exactly a practical proposition, I'd have to say.

Where there is a need there will be a solution - Why limit your search to existing CPU's, check out the RC world even a Wankel or 2/ might do the trick

• Informative 1

6 hours ago, Red said:

A few years ago at

A few years ago at Blois I saw a petrol powered man carrying multicopter, I seem to remember it had 8 small petrol motors with servo driven throttles, I was sceptical and remain so...I wonder if he ever got the thing flying?...i'll try dig out a pic

here you go 12 little petrol engines.....Blimey

DSC02169.thumb.JPG.bf1220fc1cb1014f38f4a301ab8054d0.JPG

Seems to me that the most likly way to be able to power & precisely control, so many small motors is via electricity

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Seems to me that the most likly way to be able to power & precisely control, so many small motors is via electricity

Presuming you  mean simply by using electric motors then yes of course which is likely why you don't see many efforts at trying to make ICE multicopters.

I'm pretty sure the machine shown was basically an engineering exercise from someone with way too much time to waste.

As onetrack implies, the start procedure must have been an interesting excercise in choreography😁

DSC02172.thumb.JPG.994250948c2d984369bbcc8dbe4d8240.JPG

P.S. Just found pic I took of the description Placard, I have no idea what it says...anyone here that can read French?

Edited by Red

Here are a couple of links with more information. You can testfly  Jetson One on MS Flightsimulator 2024. But first, the asking price is US$98,000.

JETSON.COM

You will be able to fly the Jetson ONE in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024!

https://jetson.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetson_One

There was a ' bicycle ' two motor copter,  were the flight control was akin to cycling.

Lean left to turn left, ect. I don't know if that gadgetman got it working or if he's still recovering. 

Australian T V .

spacesailor

Red, the placard is pretty fine print for my aging eyes - but the gist of it is, he's using 62cc Zenoah R/C engines (model G620PU-1) running Walbro carburettors, which are each driving the props through a RADNE centrifugal clutch and a gearbox with a 45mm primary pulley and a 180mm secondary pully, using poly V-belts. The engines use servomotors on the carbies for control.

He says the engines produce "6 CV" ("Cheval-vapeur", the French word for HP) each - but that's at odds with Zenoahs website, which says the engine gross HP is 5.46. The French bloke also claims 8000RPM for his Zenoah engines, yet Zenoah say the maximum output is "around 7600RPM". He's really winding those little Zenoahs out!

The Frenchman claims the engines produce 25kg of thrust each and therefore a combined total thrust of 300kgs. Not too bad I suppose, if they all keep going at maximum power! He outlines that 6 props runs clockwise and 6 run anti-clockwise, so thus negating any torque issues.

He says the frame weighs less than 30kgs and the total mass is less than 100kgs - although above that, he has 105kgs, so some variation in his stats there.

The engines are started by flipping the prop or by "an electric device" (type not known). All in all, not too much inherent strength or redundancy there, so I'm inclined to agree with Facthunters, "Pass"!

http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/Zenoah Engines.HTM

• Like 1

I like this part of the description - "The control is done by means of a radio control on a desk in front of the pilot (on the prototype)"

Now, where have we seen this dodgy style of control setup before? 😞

Stockton Rush in Titan, with a video-game controller in the foreground