Bathurst Mt Panorama incident 13th Oct 2024.

Extra 300 delivering the Peter Brock trophy to the track landed on mountain straight and hit the wall quite hard with the tail while turning around. I said to wife, they will have to find a parking spot for that but no, it took off with no check. Unbelievable. 

Screenshot_20241013_104231_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The crowd that the damaged aircraft took off towards can be seen in the vid. Not sure how this was ever got approved. Not a good look for general aviation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I am genuinely puzzled as to how he has got so old being so bold!  
Perhaps some others might do as I did and check that footage carefully because I think he actually ground looped. The left wing is low and there’s appears to be full deflection of the rudder at both the wrong time and in opposite direction. 

• Like 2

WHAT WAS THAT?? He smacked that tailplane hard as...pieces fly off....then took off?? Seemed not to even do a control check, although the rudder got some applications. Wonder what he would say if he crashed into the crowd? Or more likely what his family would say? That was pure Hollywood....but for real!

• Like 1

That was also not an aircraft type to have used for this...high landing speed and not short field although they get up to Vr pretty quickly due to engine power. Would have been safer for all concerned, if it was a STOL bush plane, in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

We'll see how dark the ATSB roast him.

Can't have been a guy that does any maintenance.

Working on planes you realise just how light and thin stuff is made....(skins, ribs, control surfaces) 

....and how easy it is for controls to jam.

replacing aileron cable and re rigging (wings)  from scratch the Piper has taught me to be quite afraid (wary/cautious) of the potential for  control surface  jams and failures.
The Jabiru push pull Teleflex is oh so much simpler and I thinik far  less chance of anything going wrong, if you don't mind the slop. (which you get used to) 

Edited by RFguy
  • Informative 1

I saw this on the weekend and could not believe it.

First an incipient ground loop (Note the full left rudder as the aircraft turns towards the wall), then after the wing misses by inches the tail hits with fibreglass flying everywhere.

The damage was clearly visible from the helicopter shot as he taxied back.

My comment at the time was "Well that aircraft is not going anywhere now"!

The plane just wheeled around like nothing had happened and nobody even LOOKED at the damage!

He then took off towards a grandstand crowded with spectators!

Are you kidding?

Aircraft are NOT race cars, they are NOT designed to bang off the side of a concrete wall!

They are FRAGILE, built to purpose, they are NOT tractors!

The chance of structural failure was unbelievably high!

I maintain my own Jabiru, I am building a Zenith, I have a pretty good idea how strong aircraft are built.

We can all see for ourselves how people kill themselves in aircraft!

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2