Mandatory Rotax compliance costs

bauple58

Looking to buy a plane with a 2008 Rotax 912UL, 780 hours TT. Rubbers have all just been replaced. It doesn't have the overload clutch, and hasn't been running avgas. As a newbie (to Rotax) I am wanting to determine  what mandatory costs, other than routine annual maintenance, I can look forward to. I am led to understand for example that the gearbox will have to be inspected at 1,000 hours. Is this correct and if so, what have others had to pay for this? Thanks

The gearbox inspection is at 600 hour if no slipper clutch and 1000hr if you have the slipper. (I believe regular Avgas use will shorten the inspection period to 600hours even with the slipper fitted)

Cost is dependent on what condition its found to be in and work/parts it requires, could just be a belleville washer needed or new dogs..etc etc...variable

Just what work is actually mandatory is more down to your regulatory system than what rotax stipulates (UL Engines are not certified)

Edited by Red

what type of aircrfat rego is it ...................... a 19 - 0000 or a 24 - 0000

I'm hearing that if its a 24 - 0000 (factory built) and the motor is time expired - then it has to go to 19 - 0000 rego

that's my ruff understanding of it ?

We've been going through this with our Lightwing.  It is a factory built, so available for training & hire.  However the engine, although low hours, is now years expired.  This means it is "on-condition" which requires annual inspections and the aircraft can't be used for training or hire, or fly over populated areas.  There are costs to have L2 inspections and I believe there is a RAAus annual fee. 

19 registered is amateur built, not just because the engine is "on condition"

We have someone who wants to buy it and do alterations - things that normally require Engineering certifications (as it is factory designed & built).  To get around this - and this isn't for everybody as it is a lot of work.  Transfer the plane to the new owner using the RAAus Tech Form 028 - Damaged/Unairworthy aircraft acquisition which takes the aircraft off the Register then do the work required making sure that it is equivalent to 51% built (dismantle, recover, engine work etc) and re-register it in the 19 category.  Once in 19 you can run the engine "on condition" provided you have a plan for monitoring and maintaining it.  Determining the 51% is up to RAAus, and 51% is a lot of hours and work, and expense.  Fortunately for us, and the plane, this is just what the buyer wants to do - a comprehensive inspection, renewal and rebuild.  Document and photograph as you go to prove the extent of the work.

The alternative is to have the engine overhauled to renew its life.  A quick call or email to Tech at RAAus will get you a better answer.  @bauple58  I am assuming it is a RAAus registered.

thanks FV - I'd like to see more on this requirment of aircraft registration - is there a printed RAA policy / protocol on this ?

(prior to say 2023 / 24 a 24 - 0000 aircraft could remain 24 - 0000 (with a time expired engine - as long as it was not hired or used for training) ................ but now things seem to have changed ?)

The differences between owning and operating a CASA or RAAus regulated aircraft appear to be converging. Make it to hard and people's will buy a motorbike instead. RAAus registered aircraft numbers are in a slow and steady decline over the last 4-5 years.

Would be a risky move putting a lot of work into an old aircraft and then trying to get a 51% approval from the regulator. 

• Agree 2

I strongly advise talking this over with the RAA technical staff - way too many slightly contradictory opinions from well meaning helpers.

• RAA will tell you exactly what is permitted & not and help you plan a way forward

As for the Rotax 912UL (80 hp).

• Contact Bert Flood Imports for definitive advice.
Edited by skippydiesel

4 hours ago, johnm said:

what type of aircrfat rego is it ...................... a 19 - 0000 or a 24 - 0000

I'm hearing that if its a 24 - 0000 (factory built) and the motor is time expired - then it has to go to 19 - 0000 rego

that's my ruff understanding of it ?

Hi John,

Doesn't go to 19 reg from 24 reg - you need to change it to E reg, ie E24-nnnn to put it into Experimental category. Then you can fly with engine "On Condition". 

Cheers,

Neil

• Helpful 1

Ok, this is my experience. In order to keep an eye on things, I understand RAAus wants you to apply for a MARAP, to fly an engine on condition. No problem with this. My problem with it....is they want you to re-new MARAP at every annual.....What with Rego fees, membership fees and now this.....yes.....anyone seen the new Royal Enfield Shotgun 650....? Looks like a great motorcycle!.....Running on condition should not be a drama, just means every annual, you need to check all engine temps and pressures are or have been normal, check the oil and oil filter element for metal and do an oil change.

You need to do a compression check and if you can borescope the cylinders for a look see, it's a good thing, to have a look at the valve faces and barrel walls condition, because this may show potential problems earlier...a good LAME should be able to see signs of heat stress on the valve faces and there is a clever rope trick to grind valve seats without taking the heads off. If you've lost compression, too late, the damage has been done.

A piston engine will always show signs of pending trouble I think, as long as you listen and look. Sudden failures are rare in my opinion. My Rotax is on condition. I do of course 50 Hr oil/filter changes and the compression test usinga compressor, 80 PSI and the double gauge tester, is showing values pretty much as good as a new engine. Running the engine for at least 5 minutes before a compression check is important. I think the 80Hp is the jewel in Rotax's crown, because they go for ever and I think that's because they are relatively unstressed. "Some say".....that they have opened them up well past 1500 Hrs and you can still see the cross hatch honing marks on the cylinder bores...old wives tale?