G'day in The Old Dart.

cscotthendry

Close. The term reputedly comes from referring to the River Dart, whereupon the Britannia Royal Naval College Dartmouth was situated, overlooking the River estuary.

Sailors were reputed to have said they were "returning to the Old Dart", as a reference to returning to the U.K. after extended voyages.

The Britannia Royal Naval College Dartmouth trained RN officers from 1863, and was apparently an institution which was held in respect by the RN officers.

The younger RN officers likely returned to the BRNCD to do further RN officer training.

• Like 2

Thank Onetrack. 

I should have included the Dart River in my question. I knew a small part of the Dart .  In my very early twenties, I  skinny dipped, with my then Devonshire girlfriend in the Dart.  Great girl!  - Tourist in a steam train passing along the bank,  got a lovely glimpse of some Devon charm, when she stood in the shallows and waved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/10/2024 at 5:42 PM, cscotthendry said:

G'day UK fliers.

I'm touring in the UK and would welcome a catchup if schedules and timing permit.

I'm currently in Barnsley heading for Wales and then South to eventually make our way to Reading.

Any takers?

you can try me on 07917432041 for this coming weekend. I operate a Jabiru out of a farm strip near Leatherhead in Surrey..weather is currently not so good but there's always a chance for a pint... Keith...

• Helpful 1