Today tonight

Guest pelorus32

What nobody seems to have raised about this is that to the best of my knowledge replaying communications as this program did is a breach of one of the communications acts.

In my experience I can understand most of the comms that I hear. If I think about the range of communications that I can't understand it would be a range from rapidly spoken native English, through native English students stuttering and stammering, through to difficult accents and as others have mentioned poor radio performance. Nobody has a mortgage on good comms.

Regards

Mike

Guest pelorus32
Out of interest. Which act and section?

Apparently our Class License - CL2006 places this obligation on us. See here:

Licenses

http://www.auf.asn.au/comms/Class_licence_2006.pdf

I also believe that there is a broader requirement. I haven't yet found it but I do have a call in to the Australian Communications and Media Authority - they are searching and will get back to me.

Also when I did my Marine Operator's quals we were taught that there is an International Telecommunications Union obligation and that Australia is a signatory to that.

Will let you know here if I find out any more.

Regards

Mike

I think you will find CASA is addressing this issue.

They have again stated recently in AIP and the touring seminars etc that english must be to a standard that is clear and understandable. I assume this means that for international trainee pilots the training organisation must ensure their english is "clear and understandable".

If they are RA or GA or com pilots here on vacation or immigrants then I spose the flying organisations Chief instructor is the person who makes that decision.

As A kiwi, thank God there are not too many call signs like vuktah kwubek, sux sux sivun tin otherwise all you Ozzie buggers will be running into me!

In my opinion there English was not bad (readable). Try flying out of YBLT a few times DECCA (and others who fly there regularly) will agree here, You might as well turn the radio off. bloody disgraceful.

I can understand the radio calls of which people who make mistakes with proper radio procedures of which some of these are (as long as the point gets across) but when they are just un readable... Not good enough. one solution I think Is for (people who do) to stop trying to be a big shot and pronouncing quickly. slow it down and I think alot of people will be surprised at how readable these calls are. When I make calls I sound like an absolute Idiot speaking so slowly but not once have I been asked to "say again"

Just my 2 cents.

Sound like-----

Good post Adrian. Most of us are very self conscious on the radio, unless we are doing a lot of it. Think about what you are going to say before you press the key and open your mouth. (Put your brain in gear before your mouth is in motion)...and as you say, SPEAK SLOWLY and CLEARLY. People might be listening slowly. You might feel like a right GIT at first but the real "GITS" are the ones who rattle a lot of garbage off trying to sound like Captain Marvel or similar. If you are getting instructions, don't be afraid to use words like "Say again" or "confirm----". If you get busy, say "Stand By-----" But don't say too much. Use the airwaves like you are PAYING for it. Gives others a chance to get a word in.

..Nev..