Who among us?

Guest Decca

Guest Decca

We’ve seen threads & posts of who has done their first solo, gained their pilot certificate or ppl, cross country endorsement, etc.

I’m wondering who among us is/has been/would like to be an instructor at any level.

Even though we know of Farri, Motzartmerv and a few other notables, I would still like to hear from you guys to tell us how long you instructed, what the highlights have been, what you got out of it yourselves. That’s all in the past tense, just read it as what’s applicable.

By the way my belated congratulations to Motzartmerv who recently announced his new CFI status. I guess like instructor transport drivers you’d have to get 100% on your test Motza?

Let's hear from you please, Decca.

Guest Maj Millard

I would probabily be a UL instructor on some level by now if I could pass the PPL medical. I have passed in the past for my GA private, but due to an old back injury would probabily have trouble doing so these days. I incurred the back injury in '74 as a passenger in a fatal Cessna 182 crash, but I have been flying ever since and frankly it doesn't bother me, and I often do 3-4 hr legs.

Years ago as an active skydiver in the Sydney/newcastle area, and a 'D' license holder I would regularly dispatch first time static-line jumpers, and early freefallers from the aircraft, once the ground instructor had finished initially training them.

Although not an instructor, with a 'D' license you were allowed to spot and dispatch/critique the new jumpers, which was a very responsible duty as you could quite easily kill them if you didn't have you act together, regardless of how good a job the ground instructor training was.

We need a couple of lesser Instructor tiers in our training set up, where an experienced flyer can, under an instructors eye, take new pilots after there first solo and continue with more advanced training in landings/approaches, advanced air work, navigational skills, general airmanship etc. This would also free up the regular instructor for more basic training/circut time, with new students.

To have new pilots flying with another experienced person, he would be getting additional imput and expanding his knowledge base. The lesser instructor could also be rated a "navigational Instructor, and a ground-theory instructor" Those like myself who have a Level 2 and Aircraft maintenance experience, could also become a ground maintenance instructor.

Just some thoughts...........................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Decca

Thanks for this post Maj.

You’ve done it hard, but obviously very proud of what you’ve achieved in a position of great responsibility where you’ve got to keep your concentration going ahead of the action.

Folks this is exactly what I was after. If you too have put something back into any facet of aviation, given encouragement to your student/s, then let’s hear about it.

Unfortunately the Major may not realise his ambitions of flight instructing, but as this thread builds I’d like to hear more from him on the highs, as well as the lows.

Let’s hear about your aspirations too. I’ve found the best way to reinforce my own learning is to train others, it certainly makes me realise that I was taught “the right stuff” to be able to pass information & confidence on to others.

With your contribution I can see this thread full of motivation.

I like the idea of someone the CFI considers professional enough to become a “buddy pilot”, nav trainer or a ground trainer - teaching any chosen subject in the vfr syllabus (or maintenance). And exactly what Maj said about the senior instructor having more time for new students, with the solo students benefiting from having someone different as a trainer while their confidence builds. Is it feasible?

Be a Nike and Just Do It, Decca.

Guest ozzie

I to put a bit back into jumping. i spent many hours at the target bringing in first time jumpers to a safe arrival. the drop zone would put 2 jumpers out on each run when they would open their canopies about a minute apart. i would run between the two arrows manouvering them around the sky keeping them in the wind window. each arrow was a different color and each student was supposed to follow the appointed colour. (sheesh). while this was going on the Nomad would do another run dispatching two more. sometimes 4 students following the arrows and sometimes various combinations(hand me the slingshot!). get them to fly a circuit and on final put them onto the paddles and hope that me and them get the flare right. of the couple of thousand i only broke two. no law suits. If they did more jumps i'd start to brief them before the jump and start introducing them to more advanced canopy control.

as for ultralight instructing back in the good ol days i would hang onto the upright and stand on the base tube. i'd work the throttle and i'd yell out left/right ect once they got some coordination with the dance steps and could react a bit i'd get them to start lifting the tail and then give them the throttle. when we'd be getting up to speeds were you could not run they were on there own.

musta made a sight.

when the first Glasshouses/Geminis came along probably dd about 50 hours but by then i finally realised that i had found something that actually scares me and that my nerves wern't made of steel! But would not mind studying to be able to teach classroom subjects as i do this a bit as part of work and enjoy it.

Ozzy

ozzie

Guest Brett Campany

I'd love to be an instructor and that's my goal right now. To gain my required endorsements and experience and then instruct on a casual basis hopefully. I've always loved teaching and training people in the Navy and really get a lot out of being a trainer. So yeah it's something I'm aiming for, not only that but some of us younger fella's are going to need to take over from some of the more experienced guys here instructing so we can keep this great passion for RAAus aircraft alive!

Guest Decca

Thanks for sharing that Ozzie. You sure had your share of adrenalin rushes.

Also thanks Brett, from the other end of the spectrum. We wish you every success in your endeavours.

And I'd like to hear some more from both of you before this thread expires, I'm sure you'll have plenty to tell us about Brett, as your future unfolds.

Regards, Decca.

Guest Maj Millard

Ozzie, Thanks for taking the time to do that back then. I know when I put a new student out (maybe you) ,it was always nice to look down and see somebody down there on the target (cross, target is probabily NOT a good word for meatbombs !). It was often you would drop, and there was nobody down there to keep them out of the Shxx, which was a worry. This happened a lot on remote dropzones where we were dropping into farmers paddocks, and the help hadn't arrived yet by car. Cheers Ross

And Decca, It dosen't particuly bother if I become an instructor or not now. I still do contribute to our sport in many other ways, and particulary with my work as an L2.

It would be good if I could use some of my hard won experience, especially with Navigation etc. to formally assist new pilots, as could many other experienced folks also. My recent meeting with Myles Breitkreutz after many years of admiring the mans efforts, led me to believe that maybe the RAA is possibly open to that type of progressive thinking ?.

By the way my belated congratulations to Motzartmerv who recently announced his new CFI status.

G`Day Decca,I hope you`re doing well.:thumb_up:

I`m happy to give you some of my instructing high`s and lows as a retired AUF/RRA CFI,if you wish.

Motzartmerv,congratulations and well done 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif,all the best to you.

May all you`re students be "Top Guns".

Cheers,

Frank.

I like the idea of someone the CFI considers professional enough to become a “buddy pilot”, nav trainer or a ground trainer - teaching any chosen subject in the vfr syllabus (or maintenance). And exactly what Maj said about the senior instructor having more time for new students, with the solo students benefiting from having someone different as a trainer while their confidence builds. Is it feasible?

Decca,

Is it feasible??????????,Let`s just take a very brief look at the legal side of this.

Unless it`s been changed recently,anyone acting as an instructor,in any way, must act under the supervision of a CFI,acting through an RAA approved flying school.

In my opinion,this raises numerous legal issues,mostly arrising from "Duty Of Care",

however,duty of care is not defined and therefore leaves much doubt as to exactly what the CFI must do to fulfil his or her duty other than what is writen in the RAA operations manual.

In the event of a law suite against anyone acting as an instructor,the school and the CFI responsible would also be sued and if it could be proved that any action by the instructor was inaccurate or unlawfull in any way,who knows what the outcome would be.

Again, in my opinion,it would be a very brave CFI who would undertake this operation under the present system,certain things would need to be in place first,none the least of which would be,a very big insurance policy.

In principal it is a good idea,it could and should be done and I do have ideas on this topic but I`ll wait and see what others think.

Cheers,

Frank.

Im on my way to an instructor rating at the moment.Im gonna finish my PPL first, as i want a bit more experience overall.

Im sure that there will be a lot of challenges with the job, and i dont think ive got too many romantic notions, but at a the core, what could be better than sharing my passion for flying with people and hopefully being the kind of teacher that takes pride in pumping out skillfull, safe airmen.

Ive heard that doing the instrucor rating will improve my own skill immensly as well,and that it will keep me sharp to all those procedures that may one day come in very handy for keeping me and my passengers safe under a challenge.

I also plan to complete my CPL, but id like to think that even if i end up chartering or freighting or whatever else comes that i would continue to instruct, because as my experience grows, i will have more to impart.

I think it is a great shame that many young pilots see it merely as a stepping stone to an airline, and thats its not a "cool" job.But there also needs to be a push from the powers that be to improve wages, and find other ways to keep pilots in the job longer..

maybe a bit off topic, but kinda related..:thumb_up:

Guest Maj Millard

Yes good points there Frank, the old liability, duty of care thing raises it's ugly head again.

Don't know what the RAA instructors guidelines say exactly as I haven't read them, but technically once the new pilot solos, and then recieves his basic license, isn't he then outside of the instructors direct responsibility ?. I mean he/she probabily won't have a PX or XC rating yet, but is free to fly unsupervised within his license coverage isn't he/she ?.

I picked up the latest copy of 'Australian Skydiver Magazine' today and I see that they have at least four levels of instructor, A'B'D' and E. There's no mention of a C but I would assume that there could be five levels. Maybe a couple of those may be ground instructor ratings..........................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Decca

Thanks for joining in Frank. Of course we want to hear of your highs & lows, that’s what this thread is mostly about. Must admit (I think it was you?) that a recent post told of a passenger panicking, pulling back on the pole and freezing very soon after take-off. Since you were telling the story & obviously survived, I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry, but it must have been terrifying for you at the time. (Sorry - weird sense of humour)

Yes I’m doing very well thanks Frank; but more on that later.

There’s no doubt that there’s as many opinions as there are people on this earth. That’s been proven on the forums time & again. But we all know we can have a discussion here knowing that if all the opinions are put through a filter, something good will come out the other end. So let’s hear everyone’s opinion as Frank requests, & think to ourselves “I’ve got a good opinion but this other guy’s opinion might have something going for it too“.

It’s good you’ve brought up the legal view, but I think, as I asked the question “Is it feasible?” there will be other questions raised before the legal side gets a consideration. The IDEA raised by the Major has to be worked through first, i.e. the practical side, how “buddy pilots” and ground instructors need to be chosen, need to be qualified, need to be trained, etc.

I see the Maj has just responded to Frank, so we‘ll leave them to it while I deal with:.

Simonflyer: No mate I don’t think you’re off topic at all. I see this as a conversational thread in which most opinions won’t upset the theme. Those who are looking for a short cut to a commercial career won’t be around in our arena long enough to worry about, and if they get past first base but get found out later they won’t last long in that environment.

Like Brett, you have an honorable ambition. Realising that if you go a little further in your own experience/education you can be an even better instructor, and impart the knowledge that will help your students become the best that in turn THEY can be. Come to think of it, you have probably just summed up the ultimate goal of any instructor. Well done Simon.

Regards, Decca.

Guest Warwick

My understanding is simply this that if you have a transponder fitted then it should be on and on Mode Charlie.

Cheers

Yes good points there Frank, the old liability, duty of care thing raises it's ugly head again.Don't know what the RAA instructors guidelines say exactly as I haven't read them, but technically once the new pilot solos, and then recieves his basic license, isn't he then outside of the instructors direct responsibility ?. I mean he/she probabily won't have a PX or XC rating yet, but is free to fly unsupervised within his license coverage isn't he/she ?.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I wish it was so simple Ross,it would be a lot easier to deal with,I personaly never ever have had a legal problem of any sort however I know of 3 inndividual schools where there were serious accidents and litigation was involved and I`m sure there are more than the 3 that I`m aware of.

Basicly you are correct however this is the hypothetical situation,student going solo or certificated pilot comes to grief, blames instructor for insufficient or incorrect information or insufficent or incorrect technique taught or any other number of reasons,finds good barrister, now prove that you have no case to answer to and you did,in fact give correct information and technique.

In todays legal enviroment anyone who has anything to lose is at risk,there is nothing in the system to protect instructors and there should be,this is yet another area that should be addressed and I`m prepared to discuss it if anyone wants to look at this issue also.

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi, sorry Decca, only just found this thread.. Thanx for the kind ones..

When i started instructing i signed a contract saying i would provide inflight and ground instruction to the highest possible standards and that i would provide my own insurance.. Speaking to other instructors at the time, none of whom carried personal insurance, i decided the cost of the insurance would make going to work actually cost more then i was likely to earn (in the beggining)..

Its an interesting track that this thread has headed down and frank's views are quite valid..

The school i am with now carries full insurance for all the instructors.. So i do feel a bit better about the whole thing, but often wonder how hard a good lawyer would find it to pick holes and find a weak spot in any claim made against me..

Mind you, i don't have much, so what can they take??...my car??..my plane??... wouldnt even be enough to cover lawyer bills..

Anyway... all that being said i couldn't reccomend becoming an RAA instructor highly enough... Its a fantastic way to spend ones time, mentoring airman.. not just teaching flying skills.. When i decided to go down this road i was earning ok money driving machinery, and knew i would be taking a paycut.. But ive never been about the $$$... i came to the conclusion long ago that there is so many things more important in life then chasing $$$.. when you sit down and do the math on how much time we spend at work over an average lifetime, it gets quite depressing.. If you work an 8 hour day, spen 1 hour getting to and from work, sleep for 8 hours, then that only leaves 7 hours spread over the 24 hour period where you can do the things you actually want to do.. and if your job is stressfull and unenjoyable, then you aren't a nice bloke to be around for the other 7 hours.. Because you know that soon the whole thing will start again.. So in the end, you could very well spend your entire life doing something you hate, disslike, or tollerate so you can have a nice car to take you to the place you hate and a nice home to sleep in and look forward to your next exiting day at the office..

Sorry, got off track there...

Anyway, the bottom line is this.. when i look at the wx and realise flying for the day is cancelled, i get depressed.. If i don't fly for a few days i get antsy... The idea being ( and this is just a personal thing) that when im old and grey i wont look back on my life and wish i had done something i enjoyed.. I have only been instructing for not even 2 years, but already it seems i have a lifetime of fond memories of seeing people achieve there goals and hopefully had something to do with it..

The respect that you get from people is quite inspiring aswell, while the position you hold will always attract a certain amount of it, theres much satisfaction in knowing that over time you have earned the respect of students, pilots and other instructors and professionals..

Just realised this post is huge, better cut it short...

If you have time to dedicate to it, a love for flying, a burning ambition to be good at it, but above all, a will to promote safe flying in every thing you do, then go for it... we need instructors desperatly at the moment..

cheers

:thumb_up:

ps, There is no written test, just highly scrutinized brieffings on very particular aspects, and a flying test covering all the sequences.. Its a pretty good feeling when doing steep turns the testing officer taps the VSI and says "Is this gage working?"...hehe

Guest Decca

Whew! Well thanks Frank. And if I ever get up to Deeral I promise I'll keep my arms crossed.

Regards, Decca.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Decca

Adrian formally you will need familiarity with the RAAus Operations Manual and the Tech Manual. (get your Rec Flying cd out)

In particular know what’s required of the instructor (as well as what you’ve already learned as a student) from the Ops Manual:

1.08 Statement of Duties & Responsibilities - Instructor

3.01 Requirements of a Flight Training Facility

3.02 Pilot Flight Training

Know all the Syllabi (Sillybuses??)

In fact be very familiar with the lot. Now that might cover the formal part of the RAAus requirements. Be wary of the currency of these documents, & use the on-line facility if in doubt.

Those who know what they are doing because they are instructors can give you the rest, like the required ability to pass on your knowledge, how to keep ahead of your student and the aircraft and still retain some semblance of situational awareness at the same time I’m guessing will be some of what they will advise.

Decca.