Tooradin To Sydney:

Guest drizzt1978

Guest drizzt1978

Tooradin To Sydney:

Question: Have been thinking about flying to Sydney for business. Why? You may ask, My mums suffers from baro sinusitis, so flying in a large plane that is pressurized causes her debilitating pain during descent, and she wont get the operation to fix it! Flying in the Jab with me up to about 4000 was fine, So even ho it would cost too much, untill i buy a plane, can anyone suggest a route to fly to near sydney? Hume or coastal? And how long does it take, and what is the closest RAAUS friendly airport to sydney.

Michael

RAAus friendly airport, . . . close to Sydney. All in the same sentence?008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

You have it SO GOOD in Melbourne.

Camden, you might be able to get into at certain hours, usually a GAAP as I understand it but other on this forum will have better local knowledge as I've only ever flown there as a Pax in a C172.

The Oaks, certainly RAA friendly.

Warnervale

Katoomba

Wollongong (Albion Park) - May be the best option and is near the south coast railway line with about a 2 hour (I think) train ride to Sydney CBD. ASIC Card required.

Certainly nothing within an hours drive of Sydney CBD since the demise of Hoxton Park.

Cheers,

Glen

As for which way to fly.

Coastal would be much more scenic for most of the flight if you & your Mum like coastal views, but there's airspace at Sale on the Victorian coast to negotiate and Military Restricted airspace at Nowra, normally deactivated on weeekends.

Going inland, provided you stay clear of Albury you've got much more unrestricted G-Class and the mountain scenery will start to show itself as you approach Tumut from the West and fly through the gap in the GDR over the Hume HWY towards Goulburn.

The route I normally take is

Tooradin -> Yarrawonga -> Wagga (crossed leg's?) -> Yass -> Goulburn -> Albion Park then a train into the city.

Around 4.5 - 5.3 hours with resonable headwind.

Nowra normally shuts down 'around' lunchtime on Friday is fairly easy to avoid.

Enjoy the approach into Albion park over the range!

Gibbo

I'd suggest tracking coastal for lower terrain if your Mum can't fly high. There are some big mountains otherwise. Plus flying coastal has better scenery.

I've done a lot of flying at Camden, it's a very good airport but yes it is GAAP so maybe ask Mozartmerv for details of operating there in an RA aircraft. There are RA aircraft operating there so obviously it can be done.

Camden is not on a railway line and there's no real public transport. You would probably have to get a lift or a taxi to Cambelltown to get a train, or go straight to Sydney by taxi - it's probably 60km or so.

The Oaks is near Camden and RA friendly, but it is further out than Camden, again with no public transport.

You might be able to find out about Wedderburn. Again it isn't so close and there's no transport that I'm aware of.

Warnervale is on the north side of Sydney, check with the aero club, (they have a website) to see if it is RA friendly but I can't see why not. It's close to the freeway to Sydney but there's no train nearby.

Wollongong is a fair way from Sydney. It does have RA, it also has HARS there if you want to see things like the Connie, and there's a nice cafe right on the airport. You could get a train to Sydney, maybe check Google maps to see how far the station is, but I don't think it is too far.

Guest drizzt1978

Hey Gibbo, how long is the Train trip to Sydney? (from Albion park)

The route I normally take isTooradin -> Yarrawonga -> Wagga (crossed leg's?) -> Yass -> Goulburn -> Albion Park then a train into the city.

Around 4.5 - 5.3 hours with resonable headwind.

Nowra normally shuts down 'around' lunchtime on Friday is fairly easy to avoid.

Enjoy the approach into Albion park over the range!

Gibbo

The train station is a short walk south of the airport at Albion Park (Woolongong), The train ride was 1.8 hrs from memory but that will depend on what train you get (stopping or express) and how long you wait at the station.

Warnervale is on the north side of Sydney, check with the aero club, (they have a website) to see if it is RA friendly but I can't see why not. It's close to the freeway to Sydney but there's no train nearby.QUOTE]There is a train station at Warnervale only a couple of K's from the airfield. Not much of an option if flying from Vic though, might as well use Wollongong.