Who saw "Sunday night" on Ch7?

flying dog

Guest Maj Millard

Depends what the two naked stewardesses have got in mind. If your going to die anyway that's not a bad way to go............................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Depends what the two naked stewardesses have got in mind. If your going to die anyway that's not a bad way to go............................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hmmm...I presume you are not talking about an all male cabin crew??? Or did "If you are going to die anyway" mean something more???

Ok, here is something:

Yes, planes - and as a matter of fact, just about everything - fail.

Elevators get stuck, what ever.

The "problem" I see in that view is this:

Before doing things we usually do a risk accessment and inspect the thing. Planes we give a pre-flight. Checking known points of "failure" to ensure as best we can, that they are not about to fail.

With FBW and computer control, you can't examin the software. If the software gets into a situation where it is an unknown there is no known "resolution" and so the software hangs/fails.

So as much as it is safe, I am still believing that it is better if there is a fall back where there is direct input from the pilot to the control surfaces to at least attempt to land the plane as safely as possible.

With FBW, if the computer hangs/crashes/what ever, what CAN you do?

Sure, we've covered engine failure due to starvation or exhaustion, but that is accademic in that the plane didn't "fail" as in stop responding.

Airbus and Boeing both have RAT (or equivilant) systems which power the systems required to fly the plane.

It has been said that even Boeing has computers controling the hydraulics etc.

Sure, valid. But this is more of a scattered individual computer system/unit. Each does it's own thing.

They aren't all interconnected/networked and controlled by "one" overseeing system out of human control.

So, if one of these stand alone units fail, well ofcourse there will be problems. But it isn't too much different to a cable breaking, linkage falling off etc. "**IT" happens.

But on Airbus' systems, I am worried that if the high order computers fail, the pilot is virtually locked out of command input.

On a tangent: The Russian airbus with "Kid in the cockpit" where the captain's son disengages the LNAV and causes a crash. They say that all the crew had to do was go "hands off" and the plane would have "self corrected" and recovered from the situation.

Yes, kind of nice, and all that. No, I don't mind those kind of smarts in the plane, but (and I know hind-sight is perfect) it wasn't really explained to them to do that, was it.

Hey, when my number's up, it's up. I'm flying an A380 soon and looking forward to it.

And please, I only posted it as a talking point. I don't want to start WW3 here.

happy and safe flying.

I have sat at the airport on many occasions waiting for commuter flights and watching the plane I am about to leave on land and passengers disembark and the other day for the first time I saw the pilot ( female) get out of the aircraft during the 15 minute stop and get out and do a walk around, and very thorough at that! I was very impressed at this young lady and her attention to detail including looking along the length of the aircraft line from nose to tail looking for malformations and damage.

Good on her

QANTAS flying Gladstone to Brisbane

Considering the current short length of our airport due to extension works and the very very flat approach needed to stop she did a fantastic job landing as well.

Guest drizzt1978
I have sat at the airport on many occasions waiting for commuter flights and watching the plane I am about to leave on land and passengers disembark and the other day for the first time I saw the pilot ( female) get out of the aircraft during the 15 minute stop and get out and do a walk around, and very thorough at that! I was very impressed at this young lady and her attention to detail including looking along the length of the aircraft line from nose to tail looking for malformations and damage.Good on her

Considering the current short length of our airport due to extension works and the very very flat approach needed to stop she did a fantastic job landing as well.

Sounds like Ive got a crush on a Qantas pilot!!!!! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif025_blush.gif.8e2ecc192cc98853ac4370dddcd7cf74.gif025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif025_blush.gif.8e2ecc192cc98853ac4370dddcd7cf74.gif025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Guest drizzt1978

Ahh dude, I was going to say you had the crush first, but then thought about it for a minute, And decided I would say me!!

Seriously not sure how I would handle by Fiance being PIC,

I hate the way she drives!!!

With FBW and computer control, you can't examin the software. If the software gets into a situation where it is an unknown there is no known "resolution" and so the software hangs/fails.

<snip>

With FBW, if the computer hangs/crashes/what ever, what CAN you do?

I've no first hand knowledge of Airbus control systems but I've quite a few years experience of writing safety-critical software and its usual to have not one but several main "computers". They work on "majority logic" so if one computer produces a different answer to all the others it is "out-voted" and its answer is disregarded. If one computer crashes or hangs (I'm guessing you must be a Windows user FlyingDog 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif) then the same applies.

In very critical applications such as FBW it is often the case that the software for each separate computer is independently written by different teams of programmers so that logic errors will not be common to each computer.

Once complete, the entire control system can very easily be connected to a simulator so that the software behaviour throughout the entire flight envelope can be tested and proven even before the first prototype aircraft has been completed and a lot of the software components are likely to be reused across a range of different aircraft models hence have already been proven.

Cheers

John

PS I have no qualms about flying on either Boeing or Airbus and quite frequently couldn't even tell you which type I was in.

I have sat at the airport on many occasions waiting for commuter flights and watching the plane I am about to leave on land and passengers disembark and the other day for the first time I saw the pilot ( female) get out of the aircraft during the 15 minute stop and get out and do a walk around, and very thorough at that! I was very impressed at this young lady and her attention to detail including looking along the length of the aircraft line from nose to tail looking for malformations and damage.Good on her

Hi watto was the a/c a Dash 8. Was she a blonde.?

Hi guys, ive been away working the last 3 days, just got home.Anyway my 2 cents worth. I watched the program, it was a bit of a beat up by the media, but in my opinion, there sounds like their is certainly, some promblem (computer glitch).from my understanding of it, they are looking at the pitot probes, (their is also normaly Angle of attack probes which also sent signals) which may have gave erronous readings to the air reference data unit (computerbox) which sends information to the flight computers. Dont quote me on this but i think most modern a/c have at least 3 flight computers. They talked about the flight computers getting so much corrupted information that the computers overloaded and basicaly have had enough.Anyway that is the way i interpeted the show on TV. Cheers

Hi watto was the a/c a Dash 8. Was she a blonde.?

It was not a Dash 8 as they are using a smaller ac atm due to the shortenned strip but she was a blonde!!

It was not a Dash 8 as they are using a smaller ac atm due to the shortenned strip but she was a blonde!!

Smaller than a Dash8??? What...are Qantas using Thrusters now???

Seriously though...what is Qantas using that is smaller than a Dash? Is there such a thing in their arsenal?