Phraseology for "passing through"

Guest burbles1

Guest Andys@coffs

phraseology for "passing through"... hmm think this one might go for a while yet...

kicked the bucket

fell off the perch

pushing up Daisy's

went wheels up

doing the dead cockroach dance

dearly departed

the list of euphemisms for this is significantly long

Simon,

I would like to say I do not like the "arriving at time xx".

If my watch is different to yours (in time shown) it is then accademic.

MAYBE "expected there in xx minutes" Then at least you know how long. But "at time xx" is so wrong in so many ways and so can cause problems.

Flying Dog, I hate to dissapoint but "........estimate the circuit at XX...." or "...estimate overhead at xx...." is standard phraseology. You are required to have an accurate time piece available in flight.

Cheers, Qwerty

Guest Andys@coffs
Flying Dog, I hate to dissapoint but "........estimate the circuit at XX...." or "...estimate overhead at xx...." is standard phraseology. You are required to have an accurate time piece available in flight.Cheers, Qwerty

Qwerty is correct, if you arent sure, and to get the definitive answers on what the correct phraseology for all these scenarios and more, go to the casa generated Visual Flight Guide which can be found here http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/pilots/download/vfr/vfr.pdf. An accurate timepiece is one of the few mandated things for VFR flight. Of couse accurate in this context doesnt just mean it keeps good time, but rather the pilot using it will ensure that the time is corretc before takeoff, which these days is so simple to do with the technology we have at hand. Another thing, and relevant for all, but especially those in the CST timezone where the difference from CST to UTC is an increment on 30 minutes, all times spoken on the radio are to be in UTC so when we say overhead at time 23 that is a UTC XX23 time not an EST or CST or anyother timezone time.

P.S this guide is big, while finding answers to the questions posed here is simple, I'll guess that those who havent seen this before will likely spend an hour or 4 working their way through this document. If you werent aware of this document then perhaps a "why not" question of your instructor is in order

The problem with The Oaks is its location and thinking of which is the best frequency to be on. As I said earlier, overhead at 2500 I would NOT be on The Oaks frequency, I'd suggest monitoring CN Tower.

If you are about 2 miles east of The Oaks, you MUST be on the CN frequency (below 2500' anyway) due to flights in proximity of a GAAP.

GA training aircraft flying neaby will most likely be on Sydney Radar or CN tower, not the Oaks. IFR aircraft on descent will be on Sydney Radar.

If you want to make a call on The Oaks frequency, I would suggest doing it at 10 miles or so, and be careful mentioning tracking points that may not be known to foreign or new pilots. You could just say you are x miles to the south to track overhead the field northbound at 2500. Then I'd suggest monitoring the CN tower when you get closer because that is the frequency most likely to be used by aircraft at 2500' in that area.

Remember the original airspace policy that we are moving too mentions "appropriate" frequency for that reason.

Actually, 2500 is probably the worst height for overflying there because aircraft overflying to join that circuit could possibly be traffic (circuit traffic would be below you), and aircraft inbound to Camden are most likely to be at 2500 (and on a different frequency).

Also remember to be very careful with your lookout in that area. There could be aircraft on 4 different frequencies all in the same location near The Oaks (The Oaks, Sydney Radar, Camden Tower, Camden ATIS). So no matter which frequency you choose, remember not everyone may be on that particular frequency - so look out of the window!!

Also remember to be very careful with your lookout in that area. There could be aircraft on 4 different frequencies all in the same location near The Oaks (The Oaks, Sydney Radar, Camden Tower, Camden ATIS). So no matter which frequency you choose, remember not everyone may be on that particular frequency - so look out of the window!!

Now what good is a manditory radio going to do for you here....remember that the majority of pilots WILL be relying on the radio for SA and WILL be slack with their lookout.

Guest burbles1

Thanks for the heads-up re frequencies Mazda. I usually just listen to The Oaks frequency when in the area and switch off Camden. But there's obviously good grounds for monitoring both Camden and The Oaks frequencies so I'll need to have both radios switched on and possibly be prepared to switch radios for transmissions. Camden would have to be one of the busiest spots for checking frequencies - start off by checking AWS, then switch to Camden, then Sydney Radar followed by The Oaks all in the space of 20 minutes or so!

Guest Andys@coffs
Now what good is a manditory radio going to do for you here....remember that the majority of pilots WILL be relying on the radio for SA and WILL be slack with their lookout.

So last time we thrashed this about I didn't move from my position, you didn't move from yours, both of us could identify occasions that backed our stance, in effect proving once again that life is rarely black and white. The adjudicator will take the position that on balance provides more safety....Im not going to go round that particular buoy again, but will remain safe in the knowledge that having radios in all aircraft I own means that whatever the outcome I personally wont be required to do anything.

Andy