Hey, Darky, how's the flying going?

flying dog

Start of today's mission was really good, did two dual circuits. One was a glide approach and I got it down to the field without any advice (for the first time ever) then got told straightaway to go around, managed both just fine.

I was let loose to do some solo circuits but during pre-takeoff checks/taxi the rpms dropped to zero a few times (although it clearly wasn't zero, prop was still going along happily) which freaked me out a little then the oil pressure was in the yellow unless I was at 2000rpm which I was a bit uncertain about (Ts & Ps in the green for takeoff - even when at 2000rpm it was only just into the green), so I taxiied it a bit trying to do some troubleshooting and eventually made the call to give it up (I wasn't trusting the plane by then) - decided I didn't want to test out my glide approaches for real! Discussed it all with my FI so overall it was a good learning experience :) I fought off the feeling of 'I really want to fly...and maybe it'll all sort itself out up there' and decided that I didn't want my last words to be 'Well that was a 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif stupid decision wasn't it!!'

Take off was good today, tried to let the plane do what it wanted more rather than trying to control it so much (it wants to fly and it's going to when it gets up enough speed, let it do its thing)

Of course, Darky may just be keen to get in the air.

That is entirely possible 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

Exciting news though, tomorrow I am being let loose for an hour in the plane WITHOUT having to do any dual first :big_grin: Apparantly my flying is consistent enough for me to go off alone straightaway 016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif Dunno if it's just me, but this feels like a huge step forward in my training

Out of curiosity, what is the minimum weight for the J160?

Btw, FD, attached below is a pic I took after pre-takeoff checks which shows what I see (on my cushions 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

IMG_0036.thumb.JPG.747132ec74d120e5d4008da55541d900.JPG

... OK, maybe a bit extreme, but I know you want to do aeros one day and cushions sure do compress when you start doing aeros. So if you do decide to get your own, you might want to consider higher density foam...

Believe it or not, I (at 187 cm) use a cushion in some aeroplanes. My favourite hangars have a collection of EVA foam cushions. You can buy sheets of various thicknesses (eg at Clark rubber) which you can cut/glue to suit the seat. Not very comfortable to sit on for any more than 45 mins or so.

Hi Darky,

My wife has the same issue as you and we got her a specaly foam seat and backrest made at one of the disability stores of high impact foam with a 50mm layer of the soft stuff like in wheelchair cusions that molds to you, total cost $110.

Bob.

Guest rocketdriver
Hi Darky,My wife has the same issue as you and we got her a specaly foam seat and backrest made at one of the disability stores of high impact foam with a 50mm layer of the soft stuff like in wheelchair cusions that molds to you, total cost $110.

Bob.

Thats a much better solution ... soft foam is a definate health hazard that can cause serious back injuries if you have the misfortune to suffer a heavy landing or the like ....

Hi Rocketdriver,

No the foam i got is not soft foam, it comes from WA and is a high impact foam, I think there was an article about it in the RAA Mag some time ago. The soft foam on the top is that foam that conforms to your bum when it warms up. With a wife with disabilities i am more than aware of the dangers of incorrect equipment.

Bob.

So Darky, apart from the clowns today,( see other thread about looking out for a/c before entering and lining up) when you were circuit bashing by youself, how is it coming along, are you feeling comfortable and getting the hang of it flying by yourself. It sounds, from your other thread, that your going great.

Yeah, it's going along well, I'm getting pretty comfortable with it. Each time I learn something new to remember the next time and I'm getting WAY more confident with my flying in general :big_grin:

I actually can't believe I only soloed last Saturday, flying solo seems almost normal now, feels like I've been doing it for ages (yet it still feels new and exciting each time :big_grin:)

Within a mission or two I should have the last 1.1 solo time I need before we can ditch off to the training area and start some new stuff :thumb_up:

Guest rocketdriver

Hi Bob .. sorry if I was unclear ...it did understand that you had the hi impact stuff overlaid with a thin layer to make it more comfortable and thought a comment of support for your solution was appropriate given that a number of people have resolved the height / reach issue with oodles of soft foam ....

I first heard about the issue when I was doing a lot of gliding and I think they had had some experience of the problem during a rough wheels up landing given a fairly stiff fuselage and nothing much to deform other than the foam and the pilot's spine.