Jabiru J160 in the Yarra Valley?

Guest Ken deVos

thanks blueline for sharing your experience...

if i read you correctly, the owners stand to receive $75 per hour for approx 15 hours a week... for 40 weeks a year this would equate to $45k for the owners?

if i have that right that makes it very attaractive to own, say, a jab160 and put on line at a flying school... or have i missed something fundamental?

(obviously there is also insurance, maint, hangarage, etc, etc)

lee.

add fuel to that @ around $21 an hour, insurance $5 an hour, plus maintenance up to $10 depending on engine life, then tyres / repairs and stuff.

So more like $40 per hour $24k per annum.

A new Jab is around $80-$85k so you're looking at some depreciation in there too.

It's not the most economic of businesses!

Guest Ken deVos

If you are contemplating putting an aircraft online, then taxation should also be considered.

Indeed, should you first set up a business that borrows the capital, owns the aircraft, produces a taxable income from the hire rates, but offsets the interest, maintenance, insurance and other costs against that income?

What also of the risk? The company would be PTY LTD.

Guest aeroclub13

Hi Ken, this is the first reasonable comment. If someone owns an aircraft and wants it to fly a bit and recover some of the cost, good. However a flying school buying one, paying staff, staff downtime for annual leave and sick days, putting money aside for scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, engine replacement at 1500 hrs, possibly landing fees, of course as you said insurance of the little precious thing and the premises in case someone falls over, hangarage, be it lease or if owned, insurance again, it all needs to be considered. After all, operating an UL/LSA is a project and needs proper budgeting. And the list goes on.

Guest Ken deVos
According to the notice I read last Friday, this free seminar/meeting is for anyone interested and will be run by their CFI Peter Gregory and staff in the 'large hangar'. RSVP at the desk or phone 03 9739 1211

I Regret having to bring everyone back to the thread topic as some interesting posts have been made. However, for those intending on attending the seminar at YLIL, the date has been moved to Wed 21 February.

Talking about insurance 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif - I just got the quote on insurance for my new CT. Hull insurance of $150,000 and all the normal 3rd party etc insurance, gst, doc fees etc and it has come to $5,321.00 (3.5%) OUCH!!!

To top it off I received in the mail today the insurance renewal for my Gazelle - roughly $3,500 DOUBLE OUCH!!!

Add to that hangarage at Riddells Creek at $33.50 per week - and that's all before I have even flown one hour in her - I can't afford the fuel!!!

Anyone wanna buy a house?006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

You'll have to sell the Gazelle to pay for the insurance!

Speaking of which, I have a friend with a Gazelle that's about to come up for sale. He's possibly going to buy a Eurofox. I'm and he's wondering how much to sell his Gazelle for. It's got 1,200 hours. No transponder, but has an AH and is pretty standard. A little tidyup required, but nothing too bad. I was thinking $40k, but I'm not sure.

For those that are interested the J160 at Lilydale should be arriving late today or perhaps tomorrow, weather permitting. Currently we have 40 knots from the south so I am unsure if it will get in today.

The J160 arrived just after lunch today with it's bright orange lightning bolt colour scheme. The school should be up and running shortly.