Ozi Explorer aviation

ianboag

I just bought an el-cheapo noname GPS. It runs Amigo 160 and works fine for car use - all the "turn right in 100 metres" and 3-D depiction of track and all that. Unlocking it was dead easy. After unlocking one could see that it's really just a handheld computer running Windows CE. That's what the new Garmin Aera is too.

Anyway - Ozi Explorer CE runs on it no sweat and I'm thinking about making it all into a flying GPS. The GPS unit was a whole $200, Ozi Explorer is about the same and then one just scans in and calibrates some maps. Color moving map for under $500 ........

Has anyone done this? Any opinions about whether it's good, bad or indifferent? Strong points? Weak points?

IB

Ian,

There's a whole thread on it here.

OziExplorerCE is only $40.

I've been able to supply Mio units to people already hacked and loaded for as little as $260 all up - depending on what I paid for them. I took 2 to Temora and they sold in the first few hours.

A couple of forum members tried the no-name 7" units and found the screens weren't bright enough. The Mio and Navman units are fine though.

For VFR nav use they rock. I carry two now.

Guest 4aplat
Ian,There's a whole thread on it here.

OziExplorerCE is only $40.

I've been able to supply Mio units to people already hacked and loaded for as little as $260 all up - depending on what I paid for them. I took 2 to Temora and they sold in the first few hours.

A couple of forum members tried the no-name 7" units and found the screens weren't bright enough. The Mio and Navman units are fine though.

For VFR nav use they rock. I carry two now.

I've got a no-name chinese 7" unit and I found the screen is bright enought (if 12 V supply)

the software is a "home made" plane software (NAVI navigation ULM © Pierre RAIMOND) but I think it's ok with Ozi ce