EFIS, which one 2 get?

Have been looking at the Xtreme Mini EFIS, from MGL avionics.

Was wondering if anyone was using one of these! and are there things in particular we should be looking at?

Or are there better systems at the same $ ? start at $1225, includes gps aerial and OAT sensor!

Hope it is OK to ask this on here!019_victory.gif.9945f53ce9c13eedd961005fe1daf6d2.gif

I know a few A/C with the Odyssey and it is very trick with the voice prompts, terrain display etc..

My main problem was the amount of buttons involved to achieve functions.... time not looking out the window.

This unit however seems streamlined, but the small screen is not very functional for the amount of info that is being displayed. Easier to absorb on a 7 or 10 inch screen IMO.

Good as a backup, each to their own tho....

Cheers 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

HH, Looking out the window is a great idea!

Wish more IFR pilot's would do it!

Was more interested in the possibility of replacing an existing instrument (which Adam had as a Boy)! for that just in case, possibility!

And it seemed a relatively inexpensive way to have a GPS with a few extra's added on.

Like the idea that you can shove it in an existing hole!

Thanks for the info! A couple of Aspen's would be nice!

Can reiterate an incident of an IFR twin coming from behind me at more than twice my speed at the same level, in VMC, and me looking behind and seeing it and asking the captain of the said aircraft if they had seen me yet! The answer "NO"! by this time they were level with me and passing!!!!!!!!!!! At least someone was looking out the window!037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif This was earlier this year!

Guest Howard Hughes
HH, Looking out the window is a great idea!Wish more IFR pilot's would do it!

But it's scary out there.

<puts fingers in ears> lalalalalalalalala....022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

PS: I hope it wasn't one of ours!

I've got a Dynon Skyview 10" and I'm very happy with it and a easy install and easy to use. With the dollar at the moment you would be mad not to get one.1633284336_photo4.JPG.a1f80c7b314318ca2e2ce7be183ce15e.JPG

Guest Howard Hughes
HH was a Metro Liner!!!!!!!

Phew!

That Dynon looks amazing, it sure beats the steam driven stuff I'm using!:thumb_up:

Have most experience with Dynons. They seem reliable, good tech service, good tech forums, (www.dynonavionics.com), and reasonably priced. So far, have owned & used a D10A EFIS, D100EFIS, D120EMS,and a D180 EFIS/EMS in my RV-9A. Have the Garmin 296 plugged into into the D180 and driving a Tru-trak Digiflight IIVS a/p - makes for very stressless aviating. happy days,

Hi Blueshed,

The June 2011 issue of Kitplanes magazine has an article (5-odd pages) about the current state of available EFIS's (EFII?). I've read the mag so PM me with your address and I'll mail it to you if it's not in your local newsagent.

I'm considering the Extreme Mini also, as an artificial horizon (not that I 'should' need it!) and a backup for for my 'steam' guages. I still like to have steam gauges because I can just glance at them and know what's going on. They're like an analog watch, a glance will let you know if you're on time, whereas a digital watch you have to read and then think about what the numbers mean! As a test, if you see someone glance at their watch, ask them the time - they will likely have to look at the watch again to actually tell you.

Mal.

The MGL Xtreme mini EFIS seems to be a well designed little unit! Ok, it's small but it would be right in front of most pilots. True, it needs the add-on items such as the AHRS, magnetometer (flux valve) and the engine monitor module but these can be added later as the budget allows. With our Aussie dollar soaring, the Mini PFD has just dipped to the Aud$1000 mark and considering all the instruments it has the potential to replace (ASI, altimeter, A/H, D.G., VSI, turn co-ordinator, tacho, manifold pressure, GPS, air data computer, fuel computer, fuel contents guage, CHT's and EGT's ... etc, to say nothing of the software upgradeability to run autopilot servos), I'm going to grab one for the Morgan Sierra kit I've got on order. John.