Victor Hotel 1

shu77

I was starting to think about planning a trip down Victor Hotel 1, the VFR lane between Manly and Wollongong. At first glance it looks to be quite achievable in an RA aircraft, though a little precise at the top of the southern end of the run (500ft flying under a CTA step.)

Does anyone have any insights into the trip?

Hey Shu, you are correct it is very doable in an RA aircraft. I have flown it in a GA aircraft and i know a number of guys who have flown it in RA aircraft without problems.

Suggest you review the CASA Sydney Basin Visual Flight Guide which is a downloadable PDF from the CASA website. this will tell you everything you need to know.

What do you mean ......' though a little precise at the top of the southern end ........'?

F

Guest Andys@coffs

The only question I have is about rules.....We are allowed over water, but always at an altitude that allows us to make it back to land in the event that the fan stops.....and not more than Xnm from shore...cant remeber exactly what X is and not relevant to this discussion..... Given that the altitude limit on Victa 1 is below the tops of some of the cliffs (Ithink I recall reading that was the case....havent done it myself) how are people using Victor 1 and staying IAW the rules?

Andy

Yeah I was reading the VFR guide, it actually looks quite achievable. Between South Head and Port Hacking is Not above 500ft. Doesn't give you a large margin for error, but it would certainly appear to be gliding distance from the coast.

It's a great route to fly, shu77. I especially enjoyed the run up the coast from Wollongong. You can stay a little higher and the air coming in off the sea is silky smooth. Plenty to see in the RNPark. Pretty stressful crossing the open water at the mouth of Botany Bay; being below 500' you could not possibly glide to land. The only open space in some areas is golf courses with lots of sand traps. Make sure your engine is totally reliable!

I enjoyed my trip so much I forgot to switch on the boost pump as I climbed east of Manly. A mile offshore the engine spluttered, crying out for more fuel.

i have flown the V1 many many times, its quite easy, just remember a few little pointers and you will be fine,

Make sure you get the QNH from Sydney ATIS....

Make position reports regularly, as quite a few helicopters operate in the harbour, and Harbour scenic flights get directed out of CTA into the V1 route. not to mention a lot of local flyers from Bankstown.

take a lifejacket, its Mandatory in single engine aircraft........as you cannot glide to shore from the leg between Bondi and Botany bay headland. and the route is entirely over water.

be aware of the restricted area over North head of the harbour entrance. (its pretty small.)

keep an eye out for Hang gliders and powered parachutes near Long reef if there is any sort of southerly wind.

Cliff faces from Bondi to South head are about 450ft at some points...

apart from that, enjoy the scenery, its stunning, in the right season, quite good for whale watching as well.. or you might see the occasional tall ship just off the coast.... and laugh at all the people in expensive yachts burning cash...at 6 kts.

VFG has all the info. also, i have a few vids flying the V1 up north and south.

• Like 1