A-frame struts

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi Guys

We have been advised that our Thruster is grounded because of wear of the forward A-frame struts that pass through the pod and fix to the main tube under the engine. The pod is designed badly at this point because its finish is simply a thin shell bearing on the strut

with a ribber grommet that is not very protective. Consequently the grommet has worn through and the pod fibreglass has been rubbing on the wall of the strut.

I have checked other Thrusters here and they have the same problem.

You should check all your members Ensure that there is a much thicker bearing surface on the pod and an appropriate cushion between the pod and the strut.

• 3 months later...
Guest TOSGcentral

Good advice.

The root problem is that the pod is not supported very well.

You have to look at the hose clamps around the A frame at the instrument panel area. These are what mainly keeps the pod in place and have to be TIGHT. I f they slip the pod goes down and saws through the engine support struts. This is not normally obvious because of the rubber grommets,

Should be checked every 50 hr scheduled inspection

Tony

Guest TOSGcentral

Quite correct and I sometimes advise 'easing' the holes on misaligned pods as an easier solution.

But that is treating the symptoms rather than effecting a cure!

Just make sure the pod stays where it should be - but also remain aware of the potential problem and inspect for it.

Tony