• Please read this important announcement HERE

CAA Exemption for 25 Khz radios. . .

Phil Perry

Ratings
3,183 70
Country
Country
Oh Dear,. . .the CAA have held up my 'Collection' of old, useless 25Khz rigs for export to friends in Australia, with this new exemption. This means that none of the 25Khz rigs will have to be junked by law until 31st Dec 2018. This is an extension from the original date, of 1st Jan, due to massive complaints from leisure flyers. . .

SO, for the benefit of those four folks who have asked for one of these junk rigs for a naughty spare,. . .You may have to wait a little longer !

Radio Exemption.PNG

Sorry about that. . .but I won't forget. I'm going for the YAESU model shown below,. . as it's the lowest cost, and I don't need VOR nav. Icom stuff has always been well expensive. . .it's NICE to see that three YAESU rigs are now type approved for 8.33 use in the UK. . . (I REALLY DO WISH THAT THE CHINESE WOULD BRING OUT A MODEL. . .they seem to be able to make and sell useful VHF /UHF hand helds for under £20. . . .if they don't get into this market, they are missing an opportunity IMO. BEX. . .TELL 'EM BEX. . . . .They'll listen to you cuz you spik Chinese . . . .
Yaesu FTA 450L 259 inc vat Harrys.PNG

Last edited:

Phil Perry

Ratings
3,183 70
Country
Country
This message from my Local international airport. ( Please Note Yampy, Spacesailor and Sir Jerry Attrick. . .)

Please be advised that Birmingham ATC frequencies will be changing to channels as of 1st May 2018.

Please see below for the relevant channels:

Brum channels.png
ATIS.png

Any acft requiring a service from them will need 8.33 Khz compliant radios on May 1st. This will not affect GA / Light Sport acft, apart from Rich owners as the Airport Authority charge rather a lot of money for landing and handling. They do allow amateur flown aircraft use of the site without any whingeing at all however.. But when the Fifty Quid cup of coffee turns into a 350 Quid stopover,. . ( Not including refreshments ) it concentrates the mind towards other alternatives ( Well, it Does for Me )

Last edited:

Phil Perry

Ratings
3,183 70
Country
Country
Since a radio display on the new system will not show the ACTUAL FREQUENCY you have selected, here is a small sample chart . . .

Radio comparison chart.PNG

Confused ? . . .some of my radio students can't get their head around this.. . My answer is, Don't worry what the 'magic box' is doing inside to get you there,. . if you are given a channel slot to use for a particular airfield or service, Ignore the Frequency and Techno - Arithmetic, That is Irrelevant.

Simply repeat / confirm the number given by ATC, as you always have done on the old system. . . select it on your display and USE THE DARN THING !

Last edited: