• Please read this important announcement HERE

Dash board templates for Savannah S

rmorton

Ratings
69 1
Country
Country
Pretty much as per the title I am looking for a template for the latest Savannah dash to see what arrangement of gizmos is possible. Either a dimensioned drawing or a cad file would be wonderful. Are there any hidden limits such as struts and supports?

Many thanks

Richard

Dr John

Country
Country
Pretty much as per the title I am looking for a template for the latest Savannah dash to see what arrangement of gizmos is possible. Either a dimensioned drawing or a cad file would be wonderful. Are there any hidden limits such as struts and supports?

Many thanks

Richard
Not sure where you are, but the easiest way is to have a look at another Savannah and check it out. I am at Gawler in SA if that is any help. I have a plywood template and could mark the supports on it. Otherwise I could make a drawing if you cannot find a Savannah to inspect. John

rmorton

Ratings
69 1
Country
Country
Not sure where you are, but the easiest way is to have a look at another Savannah and check it out. I am at Gawler in SA if that is any help. I have a plywood template and could mark the supports on it. Otherwise I could make a drawing if you cannot find a Savannah to inspect. John
Thanks for the offer John. I am in France near to Geneva, I am off to order the kit from the factory in a couple of weeks and wanted to see if they could cut the dash to suit my choice of instruments. It is a little chicken and egg without the size of the dash to see what can fit and how to arrange it. I could still use a basic hand sketch with dimensions. Again thank you.

Ratings
49 1
Country
Country
Hello Richard;
These pictures might be of some help. The first pair are the original support and console which came with my 2010 Sav VG XL Kit - these parts became damaged and were replaced. The kit was ordered with the stock instrument package (except radio). The pre-cut openings were 3 1/8" for the Tach/Hobbs, Alt, VSI and IAS; 2 1/4" for the slip indicator, fuel pressure and radio and 2" for oil temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, outside/abx switchable temp and two cylinderHead temp gauges. I used the "extra" hole to mount an airworthiness plaque required in Canada.
(1).JPG (2).JPG

After the original support and console were damaged, I ordered replacements (using the same part numbers) and the next picture shows the parts I received. The last picture illustrates how I re-arranged my console during the repair. I bored a 2" hole where the rectangular Trim Switch was to be and re-cut an opening for it on the left side of the panel. I believe these are the "new" type of panels supplied as stock - they permit removal of the instrument cluster without disturbing the throttles, the choke, carb heated air control, ignition switch etc. It caused me some angst at first because I was looking for a "bolt-in" replacement part, but I acknowledge it is an improvement over my original setup and I was able to re-use all the original instruments by mounting the plaque in a 2 1/4" hole rather that a 2" hole as on the original.

(3).jpg (4).JPG

Perhaps all this can be of some help. All the best, Season's Greetings;

Canada Dan

rmorton

Ratings
69 1
Country
Country
Hello Richard;
These pictures might be of some help. The first pair are the original support and console which came with my 2010 Sav VG XL Kit - these parts became damaged and were replaced. The kit was ordered with the stock instrument package (except radio). The pre-cut openings were 3 1/8" for the Tach/Hobbs, Alt, VSI and IAS; 2 1/4" for the slip indicator, fuel pressure and radio and 2" for oil temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, outside/abx switchable temp and two cylinderHead temp gauges. I used the "extra" hole to mount an airworthiness plaque required in Canada.
View attachment 47266 View attachment 47267

After the original support and console were damaged, I ordered replacements (using the same part numbers) and the next picture shows the parts I received. The last picture illustrates how I re-arranged my console during the repair. I bored a 2" hole where the rectangular Trim Switch was to be and re-cut an opening for it on the left side of the panel. I believe these are the "new" type of panels supplied as stock - they permit removal of the instrument cluster without disturbing the throttles, the choke, carb heated air control, ignition switch etc. It caused me some angst at first because I was looking for a "bolt-in" replacement part, but I acknowledge it is an improvement over my original setup and I was able to re-use all the original instruments by mounting the plaque in a 2 1/4" hole rather that a 2" hole as on the original.

View attachment 47268 View attachment 47269

Perhaps all this can be of some help. All the best, Season's Greetings;

Canada Dan
Hi Dan

thank you that is very useful I had read about the new panel arrangement but not seen one before. I am toying with the idea of either an Avmap based system or MGL's efis. What I might do is order a spare blank panel or cut one for myself and make up two options. Is the original square cut out for the trim indicator, or the switch? It isn't clear what comes with the kit as they offer an LED trim indicator as a rather expensive add on. Your phot of the cockpit waiting for the instruments looks a little scary in terms of wiring but I guess all makes sense when you actually put it together.

I like the carbon finish to your panel, is that a vinyl wrap or did you really cover in carbon?

Many thanks for the post

Richard

Ratings
49 1
Country
Country
Hi Dan

thank you that is very useful I had read about the new panel arrangement but not seen one before. I am toying with the idea of either an Avmap based system or MGL's efis. What I might do is order a spare blank panel or cut one for myself and make up two options. Is the original square cut out for the trim indicator, or the switch? It isn't clear what comes with the kit as they offer an LED trim indicator as a rather expensive add on. Your phot of the cockpit waiting for the instruments looks a little scary in terms of wiring but I guess all makes sense when you actually put it together.

I like the carbon finish to your panel, is that a vinyl wrap or did you really cover in carbon?

Many thanks for the post

Richard
Hi again;
The rectangular cut-out holds both the rocker switch and the LED indicator side by side. Those were supplied with my kit in 2010 but I purchased one of the last Savannah kits that Eric Giles sold before moving to another line of aircraft. (He previously owned "SkyKits" and now owns "World Aircraft Company".) Mine was a kit that he had on hand. I didn't even ask if was a basic kit or if there were any options.
Don't let the mess in the picture deter you - that was during disassembly to remove the bent support and I had removed every zip tie. The wiring is time consuming but working one circuit at a time simplifies everything and when it is all tied up with a red bow, it is neat and tidy. This is how it looked after reassembly:
2016 07 (12).JPG
The "carbon fiber" is automotive-grade adhesive vinyl.

All the best; I think you'll be very happy with the Savannah - don't expect to get it assembled in 200 - 400 hours though!

Dan

rmorton

Ratings
69 1
Country
Country
Hi again;
The rectangular cut-out holds both the rocker switch and the LED indicator side by side. Those were supplied with my kit in 2010 but I purchased one of the last Savannah kits that Eric Giles sold before moving to another line of aircraft. (He previously owned "SkyKits" and now owns "World Aircraft Company".) Mine was a kit that he had on hand. I didn't even ask if was a basic kit or if there were any options.
Don't let the mess in the picture deter you - that was during disassembly to remove the bent support and I had removed every zip tie. The wiring is time consuming but working one circuit at a time simplifies everything and when it is all tied up with a red bow, it is neat and tidy. This is how it looked after reassembly:
View attachment 47280
The "carbon fiber" is automotive-grade adhesive vinyl.

All the best; I think you'll be very happy with the Savannah - don't expect to get it assembled in 200 - 400 hours though!

Dan
What a difference a day makes! That is a very neat installation and it all looks very spacious under there. I am considering either the Avmap system including 7" display with separate efis and engine monitor, the MGL 8.5" lite box that seems to do everything or if money becomes no option the Dynon skyview in 8.5" (but this option is very confusing and seems to need lots of "extras" to get close to the MGL. In addition to the minimum altimeter, airspeed etc I will have a Trig radio and Transponder (already being prepared) and possibly a seperate clock/timer from MGL. The flaps will be the Flybox switch and actuator. It is all very confusing and I am not really sure about the "additional" bits that link it all together. Still good fun and passes the time whilst I await the kit :)

MajorTom

Ratings
Country
Country
too bad, you had to pay for a personalised panel design...
I havn't had spend to much time at the final design, but I wanted a tablet in the middle. So I was happy the had a nice standard cockpit in stock.

Skee

Ratings
119 6
Country
Country
Nice panel, do yourself a big favour already now, buy a McFarlane throttle handle if you're going with one sided throttle handle, will make everything so much better.

Skee

Ratings
119 6
Country
Country
What a difference a day makes! That is a very neat installation and it all looks very spacious under there. I am considering either the Avmap system including 7" display with separate efis and engine monitor, the MGL 8.5" lite box that seems to do everything or if money becomes no option the Dynon skyview in 8.5" (but this option is very confusing and seems to need lots of "extras" to get close to the MGL. In addition to the minimum altimeter, airspeed etc I will have a Trig radio and Transponder (already being prepared) and possibly a seperate clock/timer from MGL. The flaps will be the Flybox switch and actuator. It is all very confusing and I am not really sure about the "additional" bits that link it all together. Still good fun and passes the time whilst I await the kit :)
I have full Mgl efis system, it's cheaper but it's simpler in all ways, more basic, it's like buying a PC instead of Mac.

MajorTom

Ratings
Country
Country
Nice panel, do yourself a big favour already now, buy a McFarlane throttle handle if you're going with one sided throttle handle, will make everything so much better.
Can you explane?
I have double steering. So I was thinking about using one trottle handle in the middle instead of two.

Skee

Ratings
119 6
Country
Country
Can you explane?
I have double steering. So I was thinking about using one trottle handle in the middle instead of two.
ICP throttle version of just bad, balancing problems, uneven throttle, go with a single throttle with dual cables out for rotax, I love the vernier function to.

rmorton

Ratings
69 1
Country
Country
I can't remember if I read it on here or on the Facebook page, but someone had made their own brackets for the throttle lever arm to help remove the slop in the original system. The Macfarlane system looks very good, but you are paying for a certified bit of kit.

Kyle Communications

Ratings
2,242 56
Country
Country
This is my dash I re made. I have 2 of MGL Xtreme one used for AHRS the other for Engine...both are full Xtremes not a EMS. The blank hole is the radio. This has been in for about 2 years now I absolutely love it

IMG_2359.jpg

Kyle Communications

Ratings
2,242 56
Country
Country
You can have too much crap in the dash too so you need to think about what you really need...not how much money you can spend. I have the 2 Xtremes a Ipad using OZrunways nav software. Avmap EKP V with the AHRS option...I got this at a price I could not say no too but this is why its over on the right as it is just a backup but the instrument I do recommend to have is a analogue ASI. I use mine a lot and it is easy to see in your perifieral vision you dont need to focus on any digits and the lag is very minimal. The ASI is the most important instrument you can have because that will determine your well being. You can see how high you are and you can feel if you are sinking or climbing but at least roughly knowing your speed is I think the most important

Mark