Oshkosh 2011

Keith Page

For those of you who are interested:clap:, Oi! you can start planning for Oshkosh 2011. Avtours have their brochure out.

I think it is a good thing that we plan ahead.

Regards,

Keith Page.

Compare wisely.

JG3

Be careful that you are comparing apples with apples.

When I go again:big_grin:, I will going with Avtours they have it planned well.

The trip there with the connections to and from Oshkosh fits well. The accomodation is so arranged that there is a minimum of frustration of the day to day life and the transport (plenty of busses) to and from the airshow. I could not wish for anything better.

Regards,

Keith Page.

• 1 month later...
Guest basscheffers

I am going! Spent 128K Qantas miles and $350 in fees on a return to O'Hare and booked a dorm room at the uni for $55/night. :D

I arrive in Chicago on Thursday. I'll either spend a few days there, or, if he buys an aircraft in time, will fly to Edmonton that night to fly back to Oshkosh with a friend.

Looking at AvTours, they are probably around 800 dearer than DIY, but you do get to fly in to KOSH from LAX.

I have to say having tried it once or twice (not with AvTours), I absolutely despise package tours; they never offered any savings, just frustration.

Oshkosk

Bass,

Sad you had frustrations with an organised tour.

However Avtours are great they are a well oiled machine forever helpful, in my case everything is organised Brisbane to the Oshkosh uni. reception desk and return to Brisbane. I do not mind paying the bit extra - service comes at a cost, working through a travel agent that is "frustration" as a one off person.

O'Hare to Oshkosh there is nearly a 3hour bus trip involved with that exercise.

Avtours gets us to Oshkosh on Sunday, that is a very good move as we can buy the weekly bus ticket the admission pass/arm band to the air show and check out where useful things are located no airshow time wasted. With those domestic chores out of the way it is early to bed sunday night. Be bright and fresh monday morning to have an early breakfast and get the Monday started.

A:clap: big hint:clap: get walking fit:laugh: before you leave Australia"yes"true.

You need the 6 days to do justice to the airshow.

Be sure to compare apples with apples not apples with oranges regarding travel arrangments.

Regards

Keith Page.

If i was going again i would make sure i got there a couple of days early. try and grab a good camp spot. but mainly to watch all the arrivals as most get there Sat and Sunday before the show starts.

I have been three times.

I stay in town with a family. Though it has been a while since I have been there now, getting in touch with them may not be possible.

I really liked all three trips.

I flew into Madison and drove. Yeah, the rant-a-car was a bit exy' (expensive) but it was all fun and worth it.

I would love to go again. All my trips have been planned/booked by me with a bit of help from a travel agent in the actual bookings.

I said the time/date and they did the rest.

The frst time I got there it was on a wing and a prayer. NO ACCOMMODATION and it was after two trips from Madison to Oshkosh that I found the place I stayed.

Yeah, with the dollar the way it is, if you have some spare money, it would be worth getting some things booked and paid for now.

• 3 months later...

Easy enough to get to Lax. There are heaps of good value airport hotels if you want to take a break. The flights tend arrive early morning giving plenty of time to wander around to Southwest Airlines. They usually stop once so if you get one through a close stop like Las Vagas you can grab a good seat by the overwing exit (lots of legroom) as deplaning pax get off! They have 4 services a day to Gen Mitchell Field Milwaukee, (costs around $500 return) much quieter than O'Hare and cuts an hour and half off the trip to Oshkosh. Also you just walk across the road to get a rental car avoiding the dreaded shuttle bus! This is worth considering as they do road works in summer and the turnpike from O'Hare can be like the harbour bridge in peak hour. I'd also recommend the EAA hotline and stay with an America family, most houses are airconditioned and it can be stinking hot and humid in summer; might even score a swimming pool if you are lucky. The locals are friendly and will more than likely take you to places that you would never find on your own.

Guest ozzie

I regularly email with my Lazair buddy from Virginia and said he is planning his first trip in twenty years. I mentioned this to the missus and she said maybe you should go. No need to say that twice. I'll start planning this week for fares and i'll just wing it to Oshkosh. i'll travel back to Virginia with my mate and spend a few days there 5 miles from Dulles so i'll have a chance to check the museums there and in Washington.

• 3 weeks later...

Might I suggest those of you going to Oshkosh and accommidated at the University spend an extra few dollars and book a room with an airconditioner. These were introduced acouple of years ago

It is a great place to stay but if the weather is hot ulmost unbearable at night as the evenings do not cool down.

I have made four visits and it is the 'greatest show on earth' for aviators.

Joe Bagnara

Guest basscheffers
Might I suggest those of you going to Oshkosh and accommidated at the University spend an extra few dollars and book a room with an airconditioner.

Too late for that. Was too late months ago when I booked!