flying fleas

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

hi everyone,

I am new to computers so bear with me please.

I am also a flying flea fan and I believe the only pilot in Oz to have flown a HM1000 Balerit,2 seater.and been endorsed on it.

I am looking for people who are like minded for exchange of ideas etc,I am also constructing a 2 seater flying flea.Afew people have already contacted me on the subject construction and operation of that sort of acft,you are welcome to do likewise.

I am looking for any flying fleas in any condition,for refurbishing and use by our group members.

happy flying,better landings,

flying fleas qld

Guest ozzie

Try looking up Bob Cornwell from Weston in the Hunter Valley NSW. Hehas built a Flea and loves to have a chat.

Welcome to the forums flying fleas - I don't know about others but I am really learning a lot about all the different types of aircraft that you all are bringing up here - enjoy your stay!

G'day Andre.

Welcome to the group. I didn't know any flying fleas were still airborne, hope they have solved the stability problems and would love to see one flying. I will no doubt be going through Gympie sometime, where do you fly from.

Ian

Guest Guest

hi Ian,

the stability problem was solved around 1936 if my flagging memory serves me right.the problem was that at high speed the front wing acted as a spinnacker over the rear wing and literaly sucked it up.Oulling on the controls only increased the effect resulting in an uncontrolable dive.The only possible way out would have been by going into an inverted loop,not an easy thing to do in a flea.

I hope this has corrected somme of the apprehentions and myth surrounding this marvellous type of aircraft.

We fly out a private airstrip nw of Ygym.

Ayone welcome to call in and have a chat.

happy flying and better landings,

Andre

We had a 503 powered Flea flying around at The Oaks about 5 years ago.

I'm not sure who actually owned it, but the guy that used to fly it sort of disappeared with a few people looking for him? :ah_oh:

Have no idea were the airframe is, or if it still exists.

Arthur.

Guest Graeme

I believe that Flee is in Yeppoon and is owned buy a local guy working in the mines. I have actually sat in this little marvel and it is in perfect condition. The workmanship is extrodinary and a real credit to the guywho built it. Im not sure about flying it though. It a tiny little thing with a 503 rotax in it and wings that flex to change flying attitude.

cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest Flea_nut

The Flea that you are talking about was built by Fred Byron and is Based at Watts Bridge. It flew again last Xmas after a major crash at The Oaks. Its owned by Gus Morrison who is Fred Byrons son in law.

Anyone interested in the Flea Formulae should buy Fred Byrons DVD which explains everything anyone needs to know including how to build one.

I have 2 Flea projects

an HM 293 Fuse on its wheels, 503 in, spars and ribs built

An Hm14 wings completed after being started by someone else

Also have 2 1931 Clancy Skybabies ( High wing monoplane )

Yes Clem Rudder is the turning control. Pitch is controlled by change of incidence on the wing. A very simple and clever design. I have seen a Flea operate/ fly on many occassions.

regards Arthur

I have a friend who has been trying to convince me to build one of these and as a consequence of his persistence I have had a lot of material pass thru my hands over the years. I still have the original explanation of how to build it Henri Mignet is the designer and the concept was to build an aeroplane ,as cheaply as possible from common materials available from the local hardware store.that would not spin or go into a spiral. Henri considered himself a poor pilot and thought that flying should be available to all persons ,not only just those with real (or imagined) superior flying skills. As such his design could be seen as serving the aims of our current recreational concept, certainly in our earlier years.of providing a means of low cost flying to the masses. The aircraft is turned only by the rudder & the pitch is controlled by pulling downwards on the trailing edge of the upper & forward wing .The pivot point of the forward wing is back from the leading edge at a position where a positive force is required on the stick giving the aircraft feel for airspeed & dynamic load The aircraft does not spin or spiral , but if incorrectly balanced or flown at low angle of attack, can go nose over It also has a difficulty with handling crosswinds N....

Guest Flea_nut

Here is a pickie of my 293. Cabanes, nuts and bolts, gascolator etc on the sheet. Ali fuel tank on the ground to the left

1917424531_20061003_093709_293_rudder__re.jpg.a9723a87c2f5fdcdab41b860443273e0.jpg

Guest Flea_nut

Sorry guys but the server has deleted the photos, thinks they are spam. Will contact the server admin to see what the hell is going on.

James

Eastmeg2 from Sydney has just arrived at 7:53 at the forum. So welcome aboard Glen.

Do a few posts to tell us where you are up to and where you want to go.

Regards Ross

• 1 month later...