Recreational Flying Flyin

Admin

Hi All

It has been some time since we had a Recreational Flying Flyin so I thought we should get back to having them again.

We had a great time at Camden Haven - what a beautiful part of the world that is (do a search for Camden Haven in the photo gallery) - we decided to help Echuca out in the middle of their big dry and bring them some rain that they hadn't seen for a long time - so what now?

I need several months to organise it so I am open to your thoughts of when and where :big_grin:

What say we start the discussion with early October and at Narromine. Narromine has all weather strips, catering, fuel and showers/toilets.

My thoughts are to have one a year on the opposite side of the year to NatFly - your thoughts and also what you would like to see/have there - thanks for your help!

Guest Nelson Smith

Latrobe Valley is the natural choice, Hospitality, Fuel, scenic flights, clubrooms Etc, Etc,

Nelson

Ian

I support the concept and, in principle, suggest that somewhere equidistant from Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide & Sydney would be a good start.

That is probably what the RA-Aus did to originally select Narromine, but if you then apply some sort of a factor for our forum members in WA & FNQ, you might end up with Broken Hill or Bourke, and the former location does appear to have 2 active clubs that put their weekly dates on our Events Calender ..... although the ASIC issue probably raises it's head there.

But as a suggestion for 2009, and having in mind that we should try to save you any & all unnecessary organisation hassles/work, I wonder if it might not work well to hold it in Cowra this year in conjunction with the SAAA Convention .... which I think is Sept 18 - 20 this year, so the date is close to your suggestion.

If the SAAA would be supportive, this would give our forum members access to the SAAA catering system, toilets and showers, camping area etc, plus ready made forums etc would be available as a sideline .... and I would hope that if our attending members made a modest contribution we could use these facilities, plus have separate parking/camping/BBQ & some events of our own, with the combined attendance adding to the SAAA Event, with maybe benefits to both groups.

I think a location different from the location of Natfly would be best, just for variation's sake, but I must admit that the Caravan Park and showers + the Aero Club facilities at YNAR are good.

And while the fuel touch-up might not apply at that time of the year, another possible disadvantage at Narromine in Oct is that gliding operations might be getting going in October if the season is early.

Just my 4 cents worth, and I hope this helps.

Regards Geoff

Assorted comments.

If the weather gods don't shine, the difficult places to navigate are along the ranges near the coast. If the fly in was held on the NSW coast, the chance of the Southerners getting there is very much reduced. Holding it somewhere inland Northern Victoria / Southern NSW inland is fairer to everyone.

If the fly in is held at Cowra any other weekend than the SAAA weekend, the attraction for that airfield is not very strong at all.

Narrowmine does have good facilities close by. So does Temora. Holbrook has alot going for it too.

I did enjoy being able to stand around the fire at Camden Haven though.

Jack. :) :)

Guest ozzie

Corowa. Has alaways put on reasonable weather and has a good town good onsite ameniteis. can handle large numbers as proved by hosting the skydiving nationals for many years.

The SAAA fly-in at Cowra has struggled to cater to it's own members for the last 2 years, I would not suggest adding to their numbers. thumb_down

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Bushman

Two club in B.hill the rec club has its own strip No landing fees no Asic card limited sevicers but a short distance from town and station Accomadation with showers

two meets maybe better than one

You will never get all to agree on one place and have them all turn up.

It might be better to have two meets in close succession, one more to the North of the country and one more to the South.

This way the Nth, Middle & sth Queenslanders get to go to a meet with the NSW boys somewhere on the border and adventurous Mexicans & SA people may turn up.

Then the reverse for a later meet say in Corowa /river region for the Mexicans, SA crowd, NSW boys and adventurous Q/Landers.

You will never get all to agree on one place and have them all turn up.It might be better to have two meets in close succession, one more to the North of the country and one more to the South.

This way the Nth, Middle & sth Queenslanders get to go to a meet with the NSW boys somewhere on the border and adventurous Mexicans & SA people may turn up.

Then the reverse for a later meet say in Corowa /river region for the Mexicans, SA crowd, NSW boys and adventurous Q/Landers.

Whatever venue is decided upon, you'll all know which tent to head for to get the free coffee and bikkies, co's I witnessed a brave man rescuing his flag at the height of the storm at Narromine.:thumb_up:

1050728709_Narromine8thApril09001.jpg.9f9ccbe026ca7bb094651da86c2f4e38.jpg

Thanks to the Captain's great suggestion I have started looking into joining up with the SAAA convention at Cowra - will let you know what transpires

somewhere to fly to...Dalby!!

Well guys, in announcements I have stated we will be having a wings and wheels event next year (21st August,2010) This will be our third one and whilst the first two weren't without some teething problems and with measured success, next years should be a humdinger. This event is purely community driven without any vested interest by any commercial operator or organisation. Although set for one day, if organisations like the RAA/SAAA/RFAC/GFA etc would like to participate, we would cater to suit. The organising commitee will be sending out formal invitations to all groups shortly..now that we have set a date. As well as motels/ag college and limited billiting, there is a camping area on field and we install extra toilets and a temporary shower block for anyone wanting to camp under wing, no landing or camping fees. We will have a website up and running by the end of july to keep everyone informed. If anyone is interested to be part of organising/participating, you will be more than welcome:big_grin:

PS If you draw a line from Cape York to Melbourne...we are sort of half way!!

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to the Captain's great suggestion I have started looking into joining up with the SAAA convention at Cowra - will let you know what transpires

Good morning Ian,

I know that you are busy sorting out the upgraded website, but when you have a moment, I would appreciate your advice of the latest on this.

Are the SAAA being sensible and co-operative?

And do you need any help in getting this moving, as it is not all that far away now.

Regards Geoff :csm:

Thanks Cap't

I tried ringing you the other day but you must have been out.

I have organised with the SAAA for the next Recreational Flying Flyin to be joined in with their convention at Cowra.

Just been so busy I haven't announced it yet...hang on, I just did 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif anyway in a couple of weeks I will start doing more on organising it.

Hi Everybodyfor those of you who are central and west check out http://www.jametownairshow.com 16th,17th& 18th Oct 2009 will be good. Camping,showers,catering etc. local accom usually booked out early.

We now have a Black Top on the runway, taking care of your propellers !

Cheers Guy

I am gunna get there this year Guy ......... I hope.

Regards Geoff

Geoff

like the new word I found z uza day "Sticitivituity" should get you here for a bit longer, would be great to cu captian.

Great to have met you @ Narromine ! I think we cooked for and fitted 9 enthusiasts in my motorhome for the evening meal on the Friday night.

The boys had one a few steaks and a roast on Thursday @ the Golf club !

Was a Good weekend. Cheers Guy

Guest Redair

Guy, I'll see you there.... but it looks like I'll be driving. Still got to get the big silver shed built, before I can venture into the big blue one!!

Regards, Redair.

PS. No tyre marks on the roof this year? Have you sold the the noisy yellow thing?

What about Mt Beauty, accommodation, food sight seeing, airfield close to town. The flying school we were at had a weekend there we all flew in had a great weekend.

Cheers John.