Learning landmarks

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on ways to learn the landmarks etc around my airfield as I tend to get disoriented as to where the airfield is during lessons and I want to get to know the local area.

I've had a lesson with one instructor who spent large amounts of lesson time pointing out major landmarks around the airfield and it was completely distracting, so I'm not keen to ask my instructor to point them out during flight.

Is it best to buy maps of the local area, or the look at Google maps on the Satellite setting, or perhaps look at Google Earth?

What methods have other people used to get to know the landscape and where important things are? This seems like something that I need to learn myself in my own time, rather than during lesson time, so I'm looking for ideas I can do on the ground...

Any ideas would be welcome :)

- Darky:cool:

Guest Mad Dave

Google Earth is pretty helpful I find for getting an idea of what to expect to see when you go somewhere new.

As far as the finding the airport from the training area at YLIL, use the hills and ranges to orient yourself, the training area is kind of surrounded by high ground, look for Yarra Glen, and the AD is easy to find. Use the roads in the area to help guide yourself when rejoining the circuit.

Dave

Hi DS

First point I guess is when in the circuit, try to avoid using landmarks to time your turns - otherwise it's much harder when you're trying to land at a new airport! Your instructor will help you out on that - for instance, for a power-on approach I've been taught to keep going on downwind until the runway threshold is at about 45 degrees from the downwind track, then turn.

For landmarks, mostly comes from experience in the local area I guess. Google Earth is OK, and I use it to get a feel for the landscape.

For YLIL, the most useful landmarks are:

• Mt Dandenong and the towers

• Silvan Reservoir (just to the East of MtD)

• Lilydale Lake (useful because due South of the airfield)

• Power lines (about 2nm south of the field - very useful if you get lost)

• Sugarloaf Reservoir (to the West, other side of mountains)

• Yarra Glen (racecourse is a good landmark)

• Steel's Hill (to the South East)

• Coldstream Airport (but don't get too close!!)

The Melba Highway is good to remember when you're coming back from the training area - track just to the left of it, staying clear of YCEM and passing to the west of Coldstream township.

And the downwind leg for either 18 or 36 is just to the West of Victoria Road, another good landmark.

Cheers

Great replies, thanks! I'm going to have a look at Google Earth sometime soon, so I can put images of the places to the names.

This is most likely a stupid question with an obvious answer, but why do the runways have those numbers? Does the same runway have a different name depending on which direction the planes are usng it (like take off towards the north/south)? You take off into the wind right, so to determine which runway is in use do you just look at the windsock?

Runway numbers show the magnetic direction (divided by 10).

Hence 36 is 360 deg, ie North. 18 is 180 deg, ie South. And so on.

Direction is pretty simple at YLIL. No wind - use 36. Otherwise into wind as best you can - one of our problems is that there is no cross runway - so if the wind's from the West you have no choice but to land crosswind.

EDIT: Always check what other aircraft are doing first - if everyone's in the circuit for 36, then chances are that's what you should be doing! At some stage, your instructor will show you how to amend the circuit direction - I've been in a situation where the wind was from the north, but swung around to the south on final so I had a slight tailwind for landing. On the next downwind we advised we were changing the direction, did a half orbit and headed for 18.

One of the two at YLIL is out of action at the moment isn't it? They're trying to grow more grass on it I think...

So, if they say they're using 36R (for example), does that mean they're taking off towards the right or starting from the right and taking off to the left? (I hope that makes sense!)

At YLIL the two runways are parallel aren't they? So what is the second one called? (because wouldn't the compass direction be the same?)

Oh wait, I think I get it. So both the two parallel runways have the same name, but the one of the right side (on approach) is 36R and the one on the left is 36L? And if you're heading towards south, they're both 18L/R? Have I got the hang of it?

Yep - 36R/18L are out of action.

When you line up at the south end of the field facing north, you're about to enter one of the 36 runways (36 = 360° = north). If the runway you're looking down is the one on the left, it's 36L!

Other convention at YLIL - use 36L/18R for takeoffs and touch and goes, 36R/18L for full stops. 36R/18L is the shorter (but wider) runway and is currently closed. It also has pilot activated lighting (but only by prior arrangement - someone has to go out and wind up the lacker band first) :big_grin:

EDIT: Sorry - your last post and mine overlapped - you got it!

Guest Mad Dave

And technically 36R + 36L are the same runway, so two aircraft should not be using them at the same time

And technically 36R + 36L are the same runway, so two aircraft should not be using them at the same time

Important - and more often an issue with 18 because the thresholds don't line up. I've seen a few occasions where an aircraft has lined up for takeoff on 18R when I've been landing on 18L.

Another "gotcha" is taxiing out to 18 - the taxiway is on the extended centreline of 18L so keep a good lookout!

Guest Mad Dave

Yep, and remember when they are both in operation, always try to use 36R/18L for take offs, as it is longer and more runway = better (in case the engine acts up etc.)

Haha, I had a feeling that 36L was the long one! So use 36L for take off, but not when someone else is using 36R (when it's re-opened)?

Thanks for the picture Graeme, I'll save it because I don't exactly understand all of it yet but it looks helpful! :)