Can reduction drive cause engine trouble?

strikemaster

Ok, as you know I was having Amax reduction drive belt problems that could have been caused by worn bearing, and now my EA81 has shot a big end through the block spewing oil and water all over the windscreen as I was rotating during takeoff. Another 5 seconds later and I would have ended upside down as I collide with the runway fence. I did notice a slight loss of power the day before. My questions are

1. Could the reduction drive problem affect the engine like that? (It was only 160 hours old and full of oil)

2. With the new engine when fitted, would it be better to use a new reduction drive rather than the one causing trouble?

3. If so, what R/D would you advise ... another Amax or something else?

Appreciate any feedback

HOLEY CRANKCASE!

Suggest you strip the engine, and determine the cause of the Rod failure. Could be bolt fail or left loose. Check for crack development in failed item(s)& condition of journals (bearing). Cut open filter and check for metal. You should do this at every oil change anyhow. N....

Thanks facthunter ... I will find out the reason tomorrow as it is sitting on the bench at Engine Works in Winchelsea and ready for the postmortem. I just wondered if you have ever heard of a faulty R/Drive causing engine problems like this b4.

Oh, and I see you instruct at Lethbridge. I drop in there from time to time in the Karatoo ( and b4 that I had a Farmatesv11) since I fly out of my paddock at Birregurra about 30 miles south west of Lethbridge. I also flew citabria's in the past ( Scout and Decathlon) ... anywhere I can get a geek at yours online?

Will keep you posted.

Redrive.

Can't help you there, but a belt setup is usually pretty easy on the engine. Inspect it carefully, they are not new when we pick them up, and there are rebuilds, and there are rebuilds... Does it have an outrigger bearing? PM me if you wish.Nev....

Can't help you there, but a belt setup is usually pretty easy on the engine. Inspect it carefully, they are not new when we pick them up, and there are rebuilds, and there are rebuilds... Does it have an outrigger bearing? PM me if you wish.Nev....

?????????? please explain??????????? not new!!!!!!

Not new.

Just refering to the fact that the ex-car engines are a bit of an unknown quantity, when we obtain them from the usual sources ie. wrecks,and some of them have been manufactured many years ago, & could have been subject to overheating, over-revving ,etc. & even when they are "new" they are not inspected to any great extent.

Any engine installed in an aeroplane should at least have all suspect parts crack tested ,any machining burrs removed, oilways scrupulously clean, all clearances, interferences, alignments & tensions correct. N...

Guest micgrace

Hi

Iv'e seen quite a few rod failures on EA81 engines. It would be very wise to get a proper aftermarket set of rods and bolts. The original rods are quite a fragile affair. a quality engine reconditioner should be able to access them for you if you don't have the contacts. They are not cheap however. Also a proper balance job of all rotating parts helps as well.

Micgrace