EM interference research

Ben Longden

Is anyone able to assist with this small project of mine, please.

I am trying to find out factual evidence behind commercial airline companies requesting to passengers that video cameras be switched off during takeoff and landing.

Im not after urban myths, but solid facts with credible sources of incidents that have occurred, and aviation authority rulings (either FAA, CASA or other) insisting on this, as well as factual and research behind it.

Either post it up here, PM me or email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks,

Ben

Ben

I can't help with factual info but I think it may be more to do with having an electrical appliance running in case of an emergency and fuel fumes - just a thought!

Guest Fred Bear

Not too technical here but I have been told by many commercial airline pilots that the chances of a mobile/camera etc interfering with an aircrafts navigation system are about the same as a servo blowing up if using a mobile while refuelling. Some (if not all the Aussie airlines) now let you use your mobile as soon as you have touched down.Back to the subject, you would think that all the equipment would be shielded sufficiently to protect it from EMR.

What about shoes.

I'm a cronic shoe shuffler. - Just shaking my hand is worth 30,000 volts.

When I board an aeroplane - weird things happen - but no one asks for my shoes.

just kiddin' folks

regards

Guest Fred Bear

I was flying a Cherokee 6 out of Orlando recently on auto-pilot at about 2,500ft and when a passenger received a phone call, the aircraft veered off course. When he hung up, it came good again. I'm not sure what band his phone was on, as it was in the US and I'm not sure if CDMA exists over there like it is there.

There are MANY documented cases of this over the years. One in particular was a 747 Captain who forgot to turn off his mobile and as a result the GPS apparently didn't work for the whole trip.

I've had my mobile phone affect a GPS with Auto-Pilot on another occasion in a Cirrus SR22 using GPS1-Garmin430on the autopilot.

With the microair transponder if you leave a mobile switched on in the door pocket the transponder can be up to 400 feet out.

it is more prevelant with Nokia & sony phones, and the motorola seem to have no effect

Hi Crew

My wife is always telling me to chuck things out of my office- I don't know why! Well here is a scan of a 1971 receipt that might illustrate some of the changes that have occurred in GA since then. I had to overwrite it because the original was done in very pale blue biro that dissapeared once scanned.

Regards Ross

Guest Fred Bear

"Surely, as soon as the plane has landed, the danger, from of the effect

a mobile phone can have on navigation, would have passed. eh? "

Never know with some pilots...006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif