HOW DID YOU CHOOSE YOUR HEADSETS?

I'm in the market for 2 new headsets and after doing the usual web based research am more confounded than before.

Added to that is the fact that my wife and I have totally different head shapes & sizes.... and mine is XXL.

How did you select yours .... and who has gone for noise cancelling with good results?

Is it just a matter of getting what you pay for? If so I'll just get 2 from Bose.

I've never bought a new type of Shoei or Arai motorcycle helmet without a fitting/trial and surely something like a headset (albeit that they have adjustments) that is strapped to your melon for hours needs a similar approach?

So how did you make a selectionwithout travelling the pilot stores trying on 60 or 70 different models for a couple of hours long distance test?

Regards & please help? Captain

Capt - I had an opportunity to wear a pair of Bose when I went for a flight as a passenger - I went straight out and bought 2 pair.

The only problem I have is every now and then I can get a loud boooom which I believe is due to me wearing glasses and the seal brakes causing feedback or something in the ANR.

Having just sold the CT the headsets went with it so when my new one comes I will again (at this stage) be buying another 2 pair of Bose.

Guest Fred Bear

The David Clarke's with Noise Cancelling unit are certainly nothing to write home about, especially if the battery goes flat. Seems that to fit the noise cancelling components some of the foam is removed, thus rendering them useless if the battery goes flat or if power is lost.

The Bose are nice, but at around $1,500 not everyone can afford two, letalone 4...

I have a lightspeed noise cancelling 30G at present that is absolutely fantastic , although for the extra dollars having tried the Bose and loved it,that will definately be my next headset.

Guest StingGuy

The Bose X Headsets are terrific... every article that I have seen that makes comparisons puts them on top... I felt that you'll probably only buy a headset once in a long time, so why not get the best there is. Money spent is money forgotten and you end up with the headset that will make you the happiest.

Headsetscan bea lifetime investment so quality is the way to go.A bonus with my Mother in Law's Boseheadset is that she claims that they have cured her Airsickness. Father in Law is happy because now Mum happily goes flying! Ed Herring

I am still using 2 pairs of David Clarks that I bought 16 years ago in Hawaii - never had a problem with either, but compared to todays technology they are old and heavy and of course are not ANR.

Recently a friend gave me a lift in her aircraft fitted with Sennheiser ANR headsets. Wow! Remarkable difference in audio levels, and of course, weight.

I have been scanning the various websites keeping an eye out for a bargain on these.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

There is another option - fit the Headsets Inc ANR module to your existing headset, good value for money and it comes with a battery pack (don't forget to ask for the auto shut off option) so that you can use it in different aircraft and it can be hardwired.

jake

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Bought my H10 13.4's, everyones got em and theyre so damn comfy on long flights!!

Did get to use a set of Bose in the office one day and they felt fantastic, couldnt hear anyone of the phones or anything so I imagine it worked just as well in the a/c.

Guest Guest

Hi Guys

On my last long flight to Narromine I was getting very uncomfortable whith the ones supplied in the Aircraft which were non ANR sets.

A mate of mine let me try some Sennheiser ANR headsets & I was very Impressed Although I am considering paying the extra $$$ & getting a Pair of BOSE X as from all reports they seam to be the best.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hello All

This is my first posting so I am a little nervous. I have been researching headsets for many months. My flying environment is noisy...open cockpit.

I understand the passive capabilities of Bose are limited particularly for a noisy environment. Some US research actually recommend high end passive (min. 24Db) rather than ANR for ain this situation.I have spoken to the technical department of two suppliers(Lightspeed and Sigtronics) who actually recommend their high end passive rather than their ANR for high noise.

I currently have passive and ANR (prefer not to mention the brand) and find that on climbout, the passive are more effective at blocking extreme engine noise. My headsets are adequate but not excellent.

I have read that quite often,adding electronics into the earcups space can reduce the passive attrenuation therefore overall effect of ANR in a noisy environment.

Because of my dininished hearing,I want the best available (on paper at least)and have ordered Telex Stratus 50D Digital, but not before speaking to an pilots in the US who claim they are 'superb in a high noise environment.'....I have gambled somewhat and should know in about two weeks.

Hope this helps JL

Guest Juliette Lima

Hello again from JL

Forgot to mention, for some interesting customer feedbackon headsets, google search..' telex stratus 50d customer reviews '...and go to -avshop.

You will find some interesting comments on Bose x, lightspeed, David Clark,and Telex. I suppose one can only hope that the motives of contribuors are fair dinkum...

JL

Guest Guest

Hi JL

I am a bit like you in that I fly a Thruster as well as other aircraft.

Are Telex Stratus 50D Digital available in Aust...

What should you expect to pay for them..

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Steve,

The Telex Stratus 50-D digital are available from a number of suppliers in the US at $US 699.00. UPSoffers an expedited door to door (3 day)

delivery for $US 48.00 . There is a conversion rateto$Auswhich bought my total to $1033.00, however savings are considerable. I have also bought a winter and summer flying helmet (fighter style leather and canvas) to hold the headset in place.

A slight mod is necessary.These too were purchased directly from the US supplierhowever might not be necessary in the Thruster.

I fly a beautiful Fisher MK1 912 ...Wayne Fisher built Drifter , and although it is a pusher and the noise should disperse,I have a helicopter type canopy fitted over the pilot seat. Whilst it is great at keeping the wind out (worth its weight in gold) the enging and prop sound is sucked back and amplified under the canopy which is open at the sides. This is the only vice of flying the type an I am hoping the 50Db noise reduction will make flying that more enjoyable.

Happy to provide further info. if you wish

regards

JL

Guest Guest

Hi JL

Thanks for your help, I have looked at the TELEX catalog

& have found the 50-D it all sounds good...

I have never Purchased anthing over the net form OS so am very unsure if I could,should or would.

Was the total $1033 including the Freight..

I think I may have seen a pic of your Fisher in a mag....I fly an tatty old 86 TST Thruster but it's like an old dog, we just luv it...

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi again Steve,

The US aircraft suppliers are spot on and secure, i.e. Aircraft Spruce, Sportys etc.

Most offer options for shipping on their website except Sporty's although I think you could ask them. The well known ones are very secure and keen to please.

My total did include shipping and conversion costs however for more security I have learned to ask for a priority or expedited air service,and ask for the consignment or waybill number for tracking purposes. Usually they send this with the order acknowledgment.

It does help to research an intended purchase by cross referring supplied info., ie. phone calls emails etc. Some folk give the manufactures line ,others can be surprisingly frank!

Yes the Fisher did appear in the RAA mag recently, more to push the joys of flying'rag and tube' I suppose. Surprising the number of people who thought it was for sale.

As far as your 'baby' is concerned....as long as it is safe and you enjoy,who cares?

Kind Regards

JL

The last edition of Australian Flying had a write up on headsets and this is how they listed the Telex:

Telex Stratus 50 Digital

This head set is definitely top of the line, in both price

and performance. The active technology uses digital signal processing (DSP) to

continuously sample and cancel low-frequency noise. As a result, the noise

reduction claimed is a whopping 50db; more than any other active headset. Four

AA batteries provide power and auto shut-off saves the batteries when you’re

not using the system. The Stratus 50 comes with an adaptor so mobile phones and

MP3 players can be connected without having to switch cords in flight.

Cushioned head pads and ear seals and a flexible mic boom finish the unit

nicely. Anyone considering the best in active headsets should look closely at

this one.

Noise Cancelling: Active

Microphone: Noise-cancelling

Mic Boom: Flexible

Weight: 0.510 kg

Retail: $1575

It seems the price quoted may be a little high if you can get them so much cheaper from overseas and it is interesting the piece about the phone adaptor with so many different phones out there all with different connectors getting one to fit for a lot of phones may take some investigation.

I personally am very interested to here back on how these units perform as I was just about to get 2 pair of Bose X's but perhaps it may be more prudent to wait and hear back from you JL - thanks for your information, it may have been your first post but it has turned out to be a very valuable one - thanks.

My aircraft came with Dave Clark H10-13S headsets however last week I made the mistake of going flying with someone who had Bose X headsets.........so this topic is very relevant to me as I now want to replace the DC's!

Would also be very interestedin any feedback on the Telex Stratus 50 Digitals as having the phone adaptor is an advantage and I understand the Bose X do not have this facility.

Regards

Dave

Guest Guest

Howdy

Any idea what model the DC is with ANR & an inbuilt interface for phone and MP3 connections

I have not seen any Model listed or Pricing. Thrasher

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Steve

David Clark are about to release their X11 in August and are taking advance orders through US distributors.

Search David Clark headsets, and click on the red X11( home page)for photo and features. So far they are a little scant on technical info. such as noise attenuation etc.

I dont know what your intercom system currently is ,but there may be compatibility issues with GA headsets.

Regards

JL

Guest Guest

Hi JL

I Have a PILOT PA2001k 2 place Minicom which chews through the Batteries but works OK

So hopefully an ANR Headset will work ok with this.

Thrasher