Skirting around Nowra?

sfGnome

I've been looking at the maps and satellite pictures for a potential flight heading south from Sydney - say from The Oaks to Moruya. If you come across to the coast around Wollongong, then how do you get past Nowra's restricted area? I can't go through the VFR lane on the coast and the land to the west of there looks pretty inhospitable.

Alternatively, if you follow the Hume down to about Marulan before heading south, you still have to cross 20 miles of tall timber to the west of Moruya. What's the best way in, or am I just being too cautious? :confused:

Hi Gnome,

There is a corridor to the West of Nowra have a look in the ELSA. The timber West of Nowra is not all that bad there are spots to put down if need be plus a couple of properties have thier own strips. You can cut back to the coast just south of Jarvis Bay military zone.

Bob.

Dont forget, the Nowra Restriced areas are Deactivated after 2 Pm on Friday, and all weekend! then just fly on through making the usual calls, as CTAF procedures apply when the tower is and restricted areas are deactivated.

If in doubt, call up Sydney radar as you are passing wollongong, and request the status of the Restricted area, syd radar is 124.55, or listen in to the ATIS/AWIS at Nowra.

Thanks ultralights, forgot about the Friday deactivation, I was thundering through there on Wednesdays and Thursdays so didn't get to fly there when 'tross was deactivated.

Only landed at 'tross once during the week but that was a pre arranged thing, good to get back there it had been 25 years when i walked out the gate.

Bob.

If you did have to fly down south during the week, your best bet would be to track via Mittagong and Goulburn, then just south of Braidwood follow the Araluen Valley across to the coast at Moruya at 7,500ft or even 9,500ft depending on cloud clearance requirements. The extra height above 5,000ft is needed for glide to safe landing area in case your fuel to noise converter stops.

Cheers,

Glen

Thanks all for the quick replies. Bob, I couldn't find any reference to a VFR lane to the west, but as I'd most likely be going down on a weekend anyhow (think my brother would get a bit shirty if I dropped in while he was at work 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif), looks like it won't be a problem. Now I just have to work out when.

Hi the information in the ELSA is "Nowra" page 4 para 8,sub para a) and b).:big_grin:Bob.

Yep, but that's on the east side. Anyhow, no matter. As it's CTA during the week, I can't go through there anyhow (unlike, say, the lane to the west of Williamstown). Thanks anyhow. Much appreciated. :)