Hello all!

twincom

I've just joined and am looking forward to conversing with others and finding out more about the site. I started to learn how to fly in 1992 in a Jabiru. Stopped and started several times and eventually went solo in 1994.

Moved onto Piper Archer to get my unrestricted, once again stopped and started but eventually got it in 1997. I then maintained my licence by flying every now and then when in a town where I could hire a suitable aircraft.

Eventually I decided it was time to buy my own plane, and with a family starting decided I'd try and get something big enough to take us all. I started looking around for a high powered single and came across a 1964 Piper Twin comanche in reasonable shape with two near new engines and long life props. I rushed out and got my twin endoursement on a duchess then a type endorsement on the plane I purchased and flew it back to the airstrip in the little mining town in Central Queensland which was my home at the time.

We now reside in Brisbane and the after looking for six years finally found some reasonbaly priced hangar space at Archerfield. We love the plane especially going on holidays together or to a weekend flyin. The kids especially enjoy the adventure of it all.

I'm sorry I missed out on the Camden Haven flyin. we visited there once and really loved the place. From the photos it looks like a good crowd attended.

Hi Twincom,

Welcome, good to see you here.

May I ask? It would appear you're a low hours flyer, that is, not logging 100s of hours annually. You've had the twin long enough now to know its costs and you have no doubt projected other expected costs. Just how many hours PA do you fly her and what do you calculate to be your hourly cost?

I'm interested in seeing a comparison between your twin and an RA-Aus lightie.

Paul

As you have correctly summised I struggle to do 100hrs a year, this year about 75.

Generally the hourly cost for fuel is about $105. The annual maintenance cost is about $5,000 including annual / 100hrly and unplanned work. The insurance cost is about $5,000 per year. The props and engine are about 2,000 hrs TBO and a prop is abour $14K and an IO-320 about $40K therefore allow about $110K every 2,000hrs or about $55/hr for these items.

It is expensive but the twin comanche is a very honest four seater, in my case a family of five (three kids on the back seat is allowable as long as their combined weight is less than 155kg). We usually take alot of luggage and generally full tanks, 428ltrs. At a burn rate of 66 lph that equates to nearly 6.5 hours at a TAS of 162kts @ 7,000 ft.

BEW 1120kg

MTOW 1690kg

Hope that helps, how does this compare with say a Jabiru or CT?

Great aircraft - used to do a fair bit of flying in them. Unfortunately round Camden the hire rate on the twin commanches has gone through the roof - not quite sure why !! I investigated only a month ago as I wanted to start flying them again.

Thanks for the data Twincom. That's a lot to think about.

Our CT was bought second hand and with it came a fair bit of unknown stuff that has cost us heaps in the short time we've had it (350 hours use). At least now I know we have a good, safe aircraft in top condition. These extras have cost us close to $35/hr, apart from this our normal all up hourly cost has been $55/hr incl fuel, R&M, and misc. Under miscellaneous include stuff like affiliation and reg'n fees, nav equip (maps etc), hangarage, and so on. In these numbers I haven't allowed for items like provision for engine overhaul/replacement and prop overhaul/replacement at 1500 hrs (allow about $20/hr over the 1500 hrs) and any capital expenditure for extra toys like transponder, fuel flow inst, life jackets, etc. Also not allowed in the above is any provision for depreciation.

Darn expensive toys aren't they ;)? The only consolation I have is that if I go flying more often the amortised hourly cost should decrease ;).

Cheers,

Paul