Nosewheel Question

Ultralights

Just 2 question regarding the nosewheel assembly on the Jabiru,

how much weight is supported on the nosewheel, and is there any

way of getting hold of a old unserviceable one so i can try an

experiment on it..

thank you..

Probably easiest to just stick a scale under it

On the J200 last time i seem to recall around 120Kg but fuel and passengers are going to have a bearing. The J200 has wing tanks so a bit different w&B

I believe the nose wheel assembly is the same though.

i dont know of any discarded or spare ones Its generally something that you would repair if damaged.

Guest Fred Bear

There is about 65-68 kilos on the Nose of an empty J200 nose leg.

Increasing fuel quantity will decrease weight on the nose.

Adding Pilot and Pax could give varying results and I'd / we'd / you'd have to do a test to work that out.

Jabiru have a DVD from the destructive testing of the J200/J400 components and the noseleg is surprisingly strong, along with most other components of the aircraft. The drop-testing is very interesting to watch too.

i am curious, i have recently pulled apart my 2500 cc motorcycle, and was surprised by the lack of weight in the spring and assy, and then i was going through the pics of the jabiru i usually hire, and noticed the shock assy from the motorcycle might fit in place of the yellow poly rubber shock things... obviously giving a better ride and smoother landings with a proper spring and dampner setup.

without much weight penalty. hence i am after the nosehwheel assembly that i can weigh, then modify with the motorcycle shock assy installed and weight again.. do you think it might work?

Hi Rob

I don't have many hours in the Jab LSA 2200 but have flown two very different feeling ones. One is at Griffith and the otherwas at Hoxton Park.

I hardly ever seem to be able to keep the front wheel upon landing the Griffith machine whereas the Hoxton Park machine was easy to keep the front wheel off when landing.

The main other difference was the feel of the "trim" it is very solid in the Griffith machine and very light in the Hoxton Park machine.

An extra factor I just remembered is that the Hoxton Park machine has a batch of cushions available for passenger and pilot. I used one there and never have at Griffith. The Griffith machine has no extra available cushions.

I find it is much easier to steer a straight line with the rudder at 50 knots than steering the the front wheel with the rudder pedals.

When I fly at Griffith I note that my elbow rests on the divider and I have to make a conscious effort to get full back stick particularly if I have experienced any stiffness in the shoulder joint of the right arm!

I will have to try a thin cushion on the normal seat but this will change the landing view so I will have to adjust my perception there.

Regards Ross