New Rules Regarding Flying Through Controlled Airspace

BLA82

Hi all,

I was just readinf my copy of the RA mag and I noticed an article regarding RA-AUS aircraft being allowed to fly through controlled airspace. It mentioned an endorsement, approved altimeter and a mode C transponder but I was wondering what type of aircraft will be allowed. Will it only be certified 3 axis aircraft or will trikes be allowed into their aswell. Does anyone know anymore????

Remember that the new rules are only for the Pilot, not the aircraft so the current rules will still apply as to which RA-Aus registered aircraft can enter CTA.

Loosely, aircraft with approved engine as covered here a number of times before - 4 Stroke, Dual ignition, so generally not your rag and tube types and not limited to factory built.

Another interesting thing mentioned in the RAAus mag about RAAus using CTA was where it said some CTA will require the use of a Mode C transponder. This makes it sound like there will be some CTA that do not require the use of a mode C transponder.

A question I've asked before and never seen an answer on is whether transponders might be available to rent now or anytime in the future. Surely they can't be too hard to configure for a quick mount system, or is it that their installation in the aircraft has to be signed off by an approved person? Such a person might be able to rent them out . . .

So if a trike has a new rotax 912 four stroke, dual ignition, transponder and approved altimeter will it be ok?

I think there may also be something about a min. speed of 80 kts. i_dunno That was in the talk some months back. Maybe someone has heard something more recently.

I don't think there will be a minimum speed as a Tiger Moth wouldn't make 80 knots, so unlikely.

As for the Trike, you'll need to refer to CAO 95.32. From memory CTA may not be in there, I'll have to check for you. Operating under 95.55 would be ok of course.

A transponder is not required for GAAP aerodromes such as Moorabbin and Bankstown etc which are in a way considered to be CTA but aren't class "C" as you might be thinking of with CTA.

For many recreational pilots around say Melbourne for example, if you're only after the CTA endorsement to visit Moorabbin to get close to suburbia or maintenance / electrical work for example, then you won't need a transponder at all. You will need one for Essendon. There is also provision in the existing regulations for operation in CTA without a transponder with an hour's notice so even Essendon is not out of the question.

controlled airspace procedures

Transponders are an aid for radar ident and as well as giving your ident in mode A also need an altitude encoder (mode c)to be also fitted. Both need to be calibrated as well so I doubt if we can get a rental scheme happening. With both codes (A&C) air traffic contollers can identify your aircraft with nominated code, position and altitude (as well as RPT aircraft being able to SEE you with collision avoidance systems on board. There are a number of CTA areas in Australia not formally equipped with radar procedures and are depliced as Class D airspace (as well as GAAP) and these rely on procedures including reporting points, (see ERSA). As with duly endorsed GA pilots , RAA pilots will need to be duly endorsed in these procedures to enjoy flying through controlled airspace and trust me guys it is not rocket science and if you know what your doing is a very pleasurable experience, as far as speed restrictions are concerned, I have flown skyfoxes (GA versions) thru and into controlled airports heaps of times and the only way they get above 80kts is in a dive, so what will be the case is you will get clearance from ATC if traffic density allows. Good luck and happy flying.:thumb_up:

Guest Flyer40

Most of the PPL's I know actively avoid CTA, which is understandable given that it can seem a bit daunting until you get the hang of it. But it's a shame those guys are not making the most of such a valuable resource when it's available to them. I thoroughly enjoy flying in controlled airspace and encourage other pilots to discover how enjoyable it can be. Not only is it fun, it's a whole lot safer than flying OCTA and sometimes it can reduce the cost of flying by offering a more direct route.

I'm considering avoiding CTA completely if I can after the crappy clearance that I got yesterday. I was after something nice and high over Melbourne where it was smooth over the cloud and ended up with 3,000ft out near Lilydale and over Ringwood in the very turbulent and hazy air.

We all have those moments Brentc, and have had a few with one I remember when I once flew down to Sydney in my Lancair and after submitting a flight plan and cruising up above 8,000ft all the way until and I was suprised to have Williamstown get me down coastal thru the VFR lane at 500ft. Initially I was quite pi%%ed but got over it to really enjoy the view. 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif