Temora to host next Natfly2010

Guest David C

Yes it's official ....

Narromine loses NATFLY to Temora

For the first time in more than a decade Narromine Aerodrome will not host the largest gathering of ultra-light aircraft in Australia. Recreational Aviation Australia’s National Fly-In (NATFLY) has been held in Narromine since 1996 but on Monday the reins were handed to Temora after NATFLY was put up for tender for the first time in 10 years.

Narromine council’s attempt to retain NATFLY was unsuccessful after RAA placed a tender notice in national publications introducing a host of other bidders.

Earlier this year the RAA’s Chief Executive Officer Lee Ungermann said Narromine was in a good position to retain the event and that many aviators had already booked accommodation for NATFLY 2010.

However yesterday Mr Ungermann said the decision was based on applicants meeting the criteria set out in the tender and Temora’s was judged most appropriate.

Mr Ungermann said Narromine had been a great location for a National Fly-In for the past 13 years but said it had been time for the event to be put to tender.

“Some of our members were wondering were we getting value for money,” Mr Ungermann said.

“You have to look to see what is out there... places we can expand.

“I am not of the opinion that Temora won’t be without its challenges but I am governed by 13 board members and at the end of the day their decision stood to take it Temora.”

Mr Ungermann said he was “unaware” if council’s desire to introduce user charges at the aerodrome had an impact on Narromine’s bid.

“Narromine Shire Council has been aware (that NATFLY would be put up for tender) for 18 months, so this is nothing new,” he said.

Temora will now host NATFLY for the next three years taking with it the spoils of what is a four-day event attracting up to 1000 aircraft.

According to council’s own estimates NATFLY 2009 injected more than $300,000 into the local economy while others believe the figure to be much higher, possibly in the millions.

Beryl Hartley from Narromine Gliding Club said it was “very sad” Narromine had lost the NATFLY event and council should be thinking “what can we do to attract aviation events to this town... and I am sure they are.”

“I think it is a huge financial blow to the town... just imagine the dollars that are floating out of town,” Mrs Hartley said.

“I don’t think there is doubt that we have the best airfield and facilities for NATFLY, what we didn’t have was the best bid.”

Mrs Hartley said the proximity of the aerodrome to the town, Narromine’s location in the middle of NSW and a caravan park backing onto the airport made Narromine the centre of aviation sport in Australia.

Council’s general manager Ian Rogan said he was bitterly disappointed with the result but labelled “ridiculous” any suggestion that council was apathetic about NATFLY.

“(Mr Ungermann) indicated that the decision to change location for NATFLY was more to do with a fresh approach, and that the membership base of RAA had expressed a preference for a location further south than Narromine,” Mr Rogan said.

“Narromine council staff worked very hard in preparing the aerodrome, getting in extra facilities and acting as the local contact for the host organisation during the lead-up to NATFLY 2009.

“We received very good feedback from organisers and participants in the 2009 event. Council had budgeted to do the same in 2010.

“ Council will reassess this, in consultation with our aerodrome groups, when invitations are issued for future hosting of NATFLY beyond that three-year period.’’

In the meantime, discussions have already commenced between council and aerodrome groups about alternative events and activities at the aerodrome.

(Source: Narromine loses NATFLY to Temora - Local News - News - General - Narromine News)

Yes, it was only made official on the weekend that NatFly will be held at Temora for the next 3 years however there is a lot more to it plus a working party has been established to explore if there is an opportunity to have a Flyin in Queensland.

I am still catching up on things after the board meeting but soon I will put in the Australian section all the results of the board meeting to keep you all informed as what is happening in our Association.