APEC

Guest Graham Lea

Guest Graham Lea

Choppers have been going overhead a lot of late...

I live near Sydney on the coast. Bronte/Waverley.

Half an hour ago two were running all over the place but I couldn't see them..

Then I realised they had the nav lights off.

Suddenly one was tracking to Sydney about 200ft off the deck..

Could just see its windows reflection in the groundlight.

Followed closely by a second.

APEC will be *noisy* if it continues!!

They certainly put the 22's and 44's on grass left and grass right yesterday at Hoxton to shame :-)

I guess they would use some of the emergency services like the Westpac/NSW cops drivers etc for local knowledge to assist with the terrain and visual night stuff...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brentc

I'll lay money on it that they have night vision gear on board so shouldn't prove too much of a problem. Some of the advanced chopper stuff that you see in the aviation magazines must be seen too be believed. Full 3d terrain in infinite detail means you could fly 24x7 under the hood and not hit a thing.

Guest Graham Lea

So how is that integrated into the Jab??

Years ago it was mooted that there were some guys who flew on clear full moon nights over the western area of Sydney.

I never had it confirmed though.

Another story went about about a guy who landed on an island in a dam somewhere and swam back as the a/c had sunk in the sand on the beach..

Ahh.. Urban Myths eh?

Maybe a thing on urban myths could be fun <VBG> <ROFL>

Heard a police siren in the middle of the night last night which took literally 5 minutes to travel far enough to get out of earshot. This was in the North Ryde area near Epping Rd and I'd have to wonder if it was a Head of State convey heading from Richmond RAAF base into the Sydney CBD. Then it was complete silence, no other traffic could be heard for at least 10 minutes afterwards.

Guest Fred Bear

There has been heaps of activity over our place here in Western Sydney. Currently a RAAF aircraft callsign "redback 39" a Twotter doing things overhead my place. Will be interesting over the next few days. You can hear alot of it via my live atc feed too.

Link is:

http://audio.liveatc.net:8012/yssy.m3u

For help with RAAF callsigns see below link:

http://www.adf-serials.com/research/callsigns.pdf

Guest Fred Bear

Interesting listening on air traffic control around here with some aircraft being asked for their APEC approval numbers by ATC this evening. Apparently have been many interesting aircraft already arrive at Sydney Airport too.

I understood that in a democracy you have a right to dissent, so who is going to be the one to exercise that right and challenge the "no fly" zone. I live too far away.

David

Guest Fred Bear
I understood that in a democracy you have a right to dissent, so who is going to be the one to exercise that right and challenge the "no fly" zone. I live too far away.

I don't know David but I am not willing to try and end up with little pieces of fibreglass in my body!! :ah_oh:088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif Agreed though, they have too much power.

Guest David C
Interesting listening on air traffic control around here with some aircraft being asked for their APEC approval numbers by ATC this evening. Apparently have been many interesting aircraft already arrive at Sydney Airport too.

A Russian Government Illyusian IL62 arrived yesterday afternoon . It was using the call sign " SDM9031 " and was registered RA-86467 .. Apparently it has since left , where to ?? ....

With the 200Km ADIZ scare and the 170 Million being spent on this by our tax dollar, I have said this before, and will say it again;

While I can appreciate the need for security during this conference, I really feel that such a wide ban is an infringement on our civil liberties, and is perversly undemocratic.

Ben

Guest David C

A few years ago , the G8 conference was held in Birmingham where I lived at the time . Now the G8 is THE biggie !! , known as the Group of 8 , the 8 most powerful nations in the World . What a difference in security then . The airport was open to spotters , a video was even made of the arriving and departing aircraft and dignitaries , and there was certainly no airspace restrictions . I have one of the videos , It's great !!;)

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear
With the 200Km ADIZ scare and the 170 Million being spent on this by our tax dollar

I think Ben they said it was $331 mill for this event. Disgusting isn't it? I agree with your comments. Overkill 100% What a change with the times too Dave from your comment mate!

Guest Fred Bear

Now have 50 something listeners on my live atc feed. I have updated it to include arrivals into Sydney so Bush's Air Force One should be heard tonight some time after 2200 apparently. Enjoy!

Guest Fred Bear
George Bush is bringing a 700 strong crew of support people. Not a bad entourage if I do say so myself.

Very true. Some arrived already into Richmond with c17's containing his vehicles etc. They made their way into the CBD days ago. I assume they will be waiting at the ready this evening at YSSY for the man himself.

I am at my mid week abode at Botany and it is almost nine pm. it's like "close encounters" i have a good view towards the city. two are patroling the area at the start of the eastern distrib ... wockawockawoock lockdown has commenced

Guest Fred Bear

November 77 Delta now descending into YSSY. Not too sure if this a/c is in tow with Air Force One. Controller just requested operator of this a/c and pilot stated 'Corporate Air LLC'. Apparently Air Force one was over Mildura Area at 2105 FL370.